• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sansui 5050, buzz on one channel and other issues

Lib

New Member
Hi everybody,
this is my first post here, hopefully someone can give some advice.

I just bought a Sansui 5050 as a temporary replacement while my Marantz 1060 is serviced.
The Sansui is in very good external conditions and the inside looks completely clean. However, there are some problems and since I have one month warranty, I'd like to provide the shop with some details (I had quite a few bad experiences in the past with some vintage shops).
  • There's a soft buzz on the right channel, unaffected by the volume, and noticeable both in the speaker and in the headphones.
  • While changing the volume there's some hiss, I'd say too loud, but I don't have any experience with this model. The hiss level though changes irregularly with the volume, it gets louder when the volume knob is at 9, but then gets softer around 12, then again louder at 3, and finally it gradually disappears when reaching the maximum volume. This happens with the Aux and Tape inputs. Phono seems unaffected.
  • Sometimes, when the Aux and Tape inputs are selected and I change the volume level, the amp makes some loud pops, 2 or 3 at the time, at a distance of a second or so, before stopping.
  • The sound feels as lacking low-mids while the highs are even too present to my taste. Again, I never listened to this model before, but the impression I had by reading reviews online was that the typical sound of this model should be quite warm. I'm wondering if there is any technical issue or just my personal taste. The speakers I'm using are Wharfedale Diamond 9.5.
  • Finally, the vintage smell. It's particularly strong, compared to other vintage equipment I owned. I opened the unit, and the smell seems coming from the top front, above the tuner. Other areas don't seem to smell.
Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi everybody,
this is my first post here, hopefully someone can give some advice.

I just bought a Sansui 5050 as a temporary replacement while my Marantz 1060 is serviced.
The Sansui is in very good external conditions and the inside looks completely clean. However, there are some problems and since I have one month warranty, I'd like to provide the shop with some details (I had quite a few bad experiences in the past with some vintage shops).
  • There's a soft buzz on the right channel, unaffected by the volume, and noticeable both in the speaker and in the headphones.
  • While changing the volume there's some hiss, I'd say too loud, but I don't have any experience with this model. The hiss level though changes irregularly with the volume, it gets louder when the volume knob is at 9, but then gets softer around 12, then again louder at 3, and finally it gradually disappears when reaching the maximum volume. This happens with the Aux and Tape inputs. Phono seems unaffected.
  • Sometimes, when the Aux and Tape inputs are selected and I change the volume level, the amp makes some loud pops, 2 or 3 at the time, at a distance of a second or so, before stopping.
  • The sound feels as lacking low-mids while the highs are even too present to my taste. Again, I never listened to this model before, but the impression I had by reading reviews online was that the typical sound of this model should be quite warm. I'm wondering if there is any technical issue or just my personal taste. The speakers I'm using are Wharfedale Diamond 9.5.
  • Finally, the vintage smell. It's particularly strong, compared to other vintage equipment I owned. I opened the unit, and the smell seems coming from the top front, above the tuner. Other areas don't seem to smell.
Thanks!
Hi everybody,
this is my first post here, hopefully someone can give some advice.

I just bought a Sansui 5050 as a temporary replacement while my Marantz 1060 is serviced.
The Sansui is in very good external conditions and the inside looks completely clean. However, there are some problems and since I have one month warranty, I'd like to provide the shop with some details (I had quite a few bad experiences in the past with some vintage shops).
  • There's a soft buzz on the right channel, unaffected by the volume, and noticeable both in the speaker and in the headphones.
  • While changing the volume there's some hiss, I'd say too loud, but I don't have any experience with this model. The hiss level though changes irregularly with the volume, it gets louder when the volume knob is at 9, but then gets softer around 12, then again louder at 3, and finally it gradually disappears when reaching the maximum volume. This happens with the Aux and Tape inputs. Phono seems unaffected.
  • Sometimes, when the Aux and Tape inputs are selected and I change the volume level, the amp makes some loud pops, 2 or 3 at the time, at a distance of a second or so, before stopping.
  • The sound feels as lacking low-mids while the highs are even too present to my taste. Again, I never listened to this model before, but the impression I had by reading reviews online was that the typical sound of this model should be quite warm. I'm wondering if there is any technical issue or just my personal taste. The speakers I'm using are Wharfedale Diamond 9.5.
  • Finally, the vintage smell. It's particularly strong, compared to other vintage equipment I owned. I opened the unit, and the smell seems coming from the top front, above the tuner. Other areas don't seem to smell.
Thanks!
Does this 'Shop' just clean and resell, or do they repair and certify the unit to be free from defects and in good operating condition? Depending on your answer there may be no need to go into this any further
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lib
I would ask the supplier two things - did they clean all controls properly, and second, have they done any recapping, and if "yes" to the latter - what type/brand of caps did they use, and where?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lib
My earlier response was mostly to establish what type of agreement was established between the seller and buyer. You mentioned a 30 day warranty, what IS the warranty? Is it that the unit is in good operating condition? Or do they guaranty the unit to be a receiver? If it does not meet the specifics of the warranty I wouldn't even mess around troubleshooting it, return it. You mentioned having issues with some vintage shops in the past and I'm afraid you may be heading down that road again. If you can't return it I have several suggestions that may help isolate the problem. (problems) Good luck!
 
Hi all, and thanks a lot for your answers!
I returned the item. I'm afraid this shop, like the previous ones I visited, simply cleans and resells. At least this one doesn't write on the webpage that the items are certified to be in good working conditions. However, the seller told me the amp was checked and tested. He gave me a full refund. Lesson learnt, I hope!
A couple of days later I found for almost no money a Technics SA-101 in fairly good conditions that I sent to a trusted repair shop to be cleaned checked. Pity, as the Sansui looked gorgeous!
Thanks again for your advices!
 
Back
Top Bottom