• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 5500

Nitro

Active Member
I just received a 5500 today. Unfortunately, USPS managed to severely damage the case. Every corner is damaged, and one corner is shredded. A member on another forum was going to throw it away, and he sent it to me. I only had to pay the shipping. Luckily, none of the switches appear to be damaged. And possibly the only thing preventing it from working properly is that the source selector won't turn, and the tuning knob doesn't move the pointer. Does anyone know the specs on this? It had to be TOTL, or close. It has 2 phono inputs, microphone input, 3(!!) tape inputs, 4 channel adapter in/output, 4 speaker outputs, low filter, high filter, and two headphone jacks, one of which cuts off the speakers. Oh, anybody got a nice case?
 

Attachments

  • Sansui 5500_01.jpg
    Sansui 5500_01.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Sansui 5500_02.jpg
    Sansui 5500_02.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 66
  • Sansui 5500_03.jpg
    Sansui 5500_03.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Sansui 5500_04.jpg
    Sansui 5500_04.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 36
  • Sansui 5500_05.jpg
    Sansui 5500_05.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 41
Register to hide this ad
****! How does this kind of damage happen!! I read stories like yours all the time, and it just make me sick to my stomach. Do you feel it was thoughtfully packaged, and that UPS rolled it down a canyon wall...or did the box look intact but the item didn't fare so well due to inadeqaute packing inside?

I guess I have just been damn lucky. I've received two dozen audio items from 30 to 50 lbs all intact. Seven of them have been vintage turntables. I always email specific packing instructions to the Seller with an $10 bribe/bonus to do it my way.

That looks alot like the Sansui Eight I recently aquired. Must be its predecessor or successor. If you cant find a nice original case, I would personally bondo the cornrers back into nice crisp squareness, then re-veneer it with the species of my choice. Thats alot of effort though if your not a woodworker, and dont have the needed supplies at hand.

You still got a good deal......just coulda been a KiLLER deal.

Scott T.
 
scottrt said:
****! How does this kind of damage happen!!

Scott:

You should see how baggage handlers treat sets of golf clubs. While at the Palm Springs airport I got to see them in action. While they handled a poorly protected set of clubs with just the cover over the golf bag like they were eggs, the clubs in the heavy duty golf travel containers were tossed with reckless disregard!

After looking at the receiver close up in the pics, it looks like it was not taken good care of even before it was shipped. Looked very dirty.

Fred
 
Every single corner is dented. One corner has shattered the MDF. If and when I can get it working, I may try to make a new case. It had been stored for quite a while, probably in a garage or something., so yes, it needs cleaning pretty bad. I'm just amazed at all the inputs and speaker outputs on this thing. Oh, the guy bought this new in 73. He also has a Teac A-5300 that he's trying to give away, but he doesn't want to ship it. He's in Hawaii.
 
It was probably packed poorly too ! :nono: Packing has much to do with it....how many times can a fork lift rip or hit the box ?
 
From the voltages, I would say it's an overseas model. Somewhere around 30-35wpc. More related to the Six than the Eight.
 
Years of manufacture

hakka26 said:
From the voltages, I would say it's an overseas model. Somewhere around 30-35wpc. More related to the Six than the Eight.

Sansui 5500 1968-1973
Sansui Six 1972-1973
Sansui Eight 1973-1974

As determined for the serial number database. :thmbsp:

Paul
 
Back
Top Bottom