• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 551 and efficient(?) speakers.

D-Ral

New Member
Firstly, I am a new user. This forum is great, it's already supplied a wealth of info. Music has always been my passion, but I only recently have I come to realize that my modern and cheaply made 5.1 system doesn't stand up to proper stereo equipment.

I'm trying to build an inexpensive vintage system. I managed to pick up a Dual 704 w/ a Grado cart a few weeks ago and today I scored a Sansui 551 receiver. Both are in great shape and work flawlessly, as they were previously owned by electrical techs.

Anyway, I keep reading that I need 'efficient' speakers with this receiver and I'm not exactly sure what this means. My first thought was that I need small speakers, but than I started thinking that bigger speakers with large heavy cabinets should be able to create a bigger sound with an equal amount of power. If someone could point me in the direction of fundamental speaker science for dummies, that'd be great.

There is a pair of Epicure 100 Vs available to me locally. Is this an appropriate speaker?
 
Register to hide this ad
Firstly, I am a new user. This forum is great, it's already supplied a wealth of info. Music has always been my passion, but I only recently have I come to realize that my modern and cheaply made 5.1 system doesn't stand up to proper stereo equipment.

I'm trying to build an inexpensive vintage system. I managed to pick up a Dual 704 w/ a Grado cart a few weeks ago and today I scored a Sansui 551 receiver. Both are in great shape and work flawlessly, as they were previously owned by electrical techs.

Anyway, I keep reading that I need 'efficient' speakers with this receiver and I'm not exactly sure what this means. My first thought was that I need small speakers, but than I started thinking that bigger speakers with large heavy cabinets should be able to create a bigger sound with an equal amount of power. If someone could point me in the direction of fundamental speaker science for dummies, that'd be great.

There is a pair of Epicure 100 Vs available to me locally. Is this an appropriate speaker?


Bigger does not always mean better sound. Modern day speakers, bookshelf even, can sound excellent.
 
'Efficient speakers' means that for a given amount of audio power (watts) they sound louder than less efficient speakers.

The spec of the 551 says it has 16 watts per channel, perhaps a little low in power output terms for inefficient speakers. This is why you are being advised to get efficient speakers, nothing wrong with that, choosing the correct speakers is one of the keys to a good sounding system. :thumbsup:

This link will help - check out the last paragraph ;)
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-explain-speaker-sensitivity.htm
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom