• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 7000 Receiver Troubleshooting & Opinions

PR Audio

Super Member
My brother just purchased a Sansui 7000 receiver, usually I prefer Marantz or Denon when it come to receivers, and tubes when it comes to pre-amps and amps, but I must say that though slightly brighter than my preferred sound signature, IMO it is a very good sounding receiver. Would like to know the opinion of those who own or have heard the Sansui 7000 receiver.

As for troubleshooting, everything seems to work fine, except for a "rumble" when volume goes past 50%, or when the LOUDNESS button is pushed and activated (at any volume). Can anyone shed light as to what might be the problem?
 
Register to hide this ad
Are you playing a record on a turntable when you hear this rumble? If so, it is because you have the turntable too close to your speakers and it is creating feedback, or what is also known as turntable rumble.
 
Hey
I like mine. One of the prettiest receivers ever.
Mine seems to have a tuner problem, when tuning into the big end the knob turns harder and harder. Like it's in a bind.
Other than that it's been a real peach. Eric
 
Are you playing a record on a turntable when you hear this rumble? If so, it is because you have the turntable too close to your speakers and it is creating feedback, or what is also known as turntable rumble.

Yes, my brother had it at my dad's home testing it, and they were playing LP's (Pioneer PL-518 TT) connected directly to the Sansui 7000 phono section, and, yes, the speakers are relatively close to the TT. But, usually it is connected to my dad's Onkyo TX-45 using a PP-1 Phono Pre, same distance, and this had never happened.
 
Hey
I like mine. One of the prettiest receivers ever.
Mine seems to have a tuner problem, when tuning into the big end the knob turns harder and harder. Like it's in a bind.
Other than that it's been a real peach. Eric

I've had the same problem with an HK 330B that I own, I never use the tuner, so I haven't paid much attention to it.
 
usually it is connected to my dad's Onkyo TX-45 using a PP-1 Phono Pre, same distance, and this had never happened.

It could be that the outboard phono preamp (PP-1) has different RIAA settings and/or rolls off the bass a little more than the Sansui's internal phono preamp. Not all phono preamps and phono sections are the same. This is where you get people recommending such & such phono preamps for such & such systems.

I have such a powerful system that the only way I could get rid of TT rumble was to suspend my TT from the ceiling. You may not have to go to extremes but I had to. Tried all the heavy platters, hard rubber hockey puck platter stands, cover or no cover, and nothing helped. Could be that my cartridge is overly sensitive but it's all I got and it works for me.
 
Most came straight outa Viet Nam in the 70s. It was a Non US model.
Got one from VN vet who brought it home with him.
Sound could have been tamed down abit but overall it could kick ass at 70watts and some big sansui speakers.
But my spkrs were Big JBL Olympus S8R systems, wall knocker overs.
Talk about kik butt.
I really liked the looks.
 
Last edited:
There should be a low filter on the 7000, IIRC. Pushing that filter should stop the rumble. I have the G 6000 and it has been one of my favorite receivers of all times. It is on my list of receivers to be rehabbed. It stopped working a few years back and it is worth it to me to spend probably 4 to 5 times what I paid for it, at a pawn shop many years ago, to get it back in working condition. If I were you, I would keep that receiver and spend the funds to have it rehabbed. They don't make stuff like that anymore.
 
There should be a low filter on the 7000, IIRC. Pushing that filter should stop the rumble. I have the G 6000 and it has been one of my favorite receivers of all times. It is on my list of receivers to be rehabbed. It stopped working a few years back and it is worth it to me to spend probably 4 to 5 times what I paid for it, at a pawn shop many years ago, to get it back in working condition. If I were you, I would keep that receiver and spend the funds to have it rehabbed. They don't make stuff like that anymore.

Since it is my brother's and I don't have much access to it, I have not been able to tinker with it. Only the test done at my father's home. I told him to see if the same thing happened with a CDP or even his IPhone connected to the receiver. And, yes, it is a keeper, even with my father's good but not great Yamaha NS-6161 speakers it sounded very good, when the rumble wasn't there. We could still play it loud at 50% volume, that is more or less when the rumble kicked in. Being a Marantz, McIntosh, and tube fan, I was impressed with how good the 7000 sounded.
 
It could be that the outboard phono preamp (PP-1) has different RIAA settings and/or rolls off the bass a little more than the Sansui's internal phono preamp. Not all phono preamps and phono sections are the same. This is where you get people recommending such & such phono preamps for such & such systems.

I have such a powerful system that the only way I could get rid of TT rumble was to suspend my TT from the ceiling. You may not have to go to extremes but I had to. Tried all the heavy platters, hard rubber hockey puck platter stands, cover or no cover, and nothing helped. Could be that my cartridge is overly sensitive but it's all I got and it works for me.

Cademan, it turned out your were right. It was TT rumble. Problem solved... Thx for your input.
 
Back
Top Bottom