• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 7070 Colors of the Meters

mozcho

Well-Known Member
My Sansui 7070 was purchased used from a few years back. I didn't really take note of the colors of the meters, they are green (for the radios) and blue/purple (VU). But I saw a few photos of the x0x0 series from the web, and noticed that none looked like mine. May I know are these likely to have been modified?
 

Attachments

  • 20201130_000737.jpg
    20201130_000737.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 81
Register to hide this ad
My Sansui 7070 was purchased used from a few years back. I didn't really take note of the colors of the meters, they are green (for the radios) and blue/purple (VU). But I saw a few photos of the x0x0 series from the web, and noticed that none looked like mine. May I know are these likely to have been modified?
Someone installed colored LEDs in place of the original filament bulbs.
 
Yes when you use the Warm White that will mimic the original "color" of the filament bulbs. Or get the replacement filament bulbs from @dgwojo although he can also supply the proper LEDs if you want to stay with them. Note that the job of replacing them isn't all that "easy", but not too awful difficult. The power meters aren't "easily" accessible, but doable. The tuning meters for the radio are really easy though. They use the 29mm "fuse type" bulbs. Power meters use "grain of wheat" bulbs mounted in a grommet (probably gone on yours), or 5mm diameter LEDs to fit the holes. When I replace the grain of wheat bulbs, the grommets are usually rock hard and brittle, so I use silicone grommets used in tattoo machines to replace them with. They are 5mm OD (fit the meters) and 3mm ID to fit the little bulbs.
 
Here is a video that will help a lot in replacing those power meter lamps.


:banana:

I absolutely don't get the fascination with Blue LED's.

The original colours are best in my humble opinion, whether this be incandescent bulbs or LED's.

I really (really) like my 7070/9090db with the cool blue LEDs and the (stock) orange tuning needle. It looks stunning in person. However stock is great too! The power meters should be left alone in my opinion. I did a similar conversion on my 5000x using green LEDs and while it looks very nice, I'd probably go with white or standard incandescent lamps again. Green really pops but it took out the yellow line in the middle.

index.php

index.php

index.php


Blue LED:

index.php

index.php


20200605-211514.jpg


index.php


index.php
 
Last edited:
Here is a video that will help a lot in replacing those power meter lamps.




I really (really) like my 7070/9090db with the ice blue LEDs and the (stock) orange tuning needle. It looks stunning in person. However stock is great too! The power meters should be left alone in my opinion. I did a similar conversion on my 5000x using green LEDs and while it looks very nice, I'd probably go with white or standard incandescent lamps again. Green really pops but it took out the yellow line in the middle.

index.php

index.php

index.php


Blue LED:

index.php

index.php


20200605-211514.jpg


index.php


index.php

I like the "cool white" for the dial face and tuning meters. They aren't as "blue" and the blue in the dial face itself comes to life when filtering through. I tried the green, but it just didn't tickle me on these receivers. Filtering through the blue made it just too dark. The amber pointer just plain looks good no matter what.
 
Another thing I noticed: my radio dial needle is also out of light (red), is this hard to replace?
The dial pointer lamp isn't all that hard, but it is a very small bulb. Like the power meter bulbs, you need to so some soldering. The only bulbs that you can change without soldering, are the dial face back lights, and the two behind the tuning meters.
 
Back
Top Bottom