• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 7900Z

Bstable

Super Member
Well just when I put my system back together, and pushed to the wall, my brother gives me another receiver....thanks bro!!

It is a Sansui 7900Z. It looks to be in between the "rotary knob era" and the beginning of the ''Star Trek era" I can't say I am impressed with push button volume and tuning, but cosmetically it is near mint. It also has (2) phono inputs, which will allow me to hook up both the Sanyo TP-825D, and Technics Sl-1500 TTs.

It is going to replace my low powered 25 wpc receiver. Should help the AR 4x and newly acquired DCM CX-17 speakers.

Was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this receiver. I do not have the owners manual so I know very little about it other than it is 100 wpc. I deoxed what I could, and everything is static/noise free. Is the tuner section good for this receiver. I have a Hitachi FT-4400 tuner also. Any help/scans would be great.
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't have much experience with these but what I saw I liked. The tuner is that digital quartz lock/analog hybrid of sorts which is kinda cool. they pick up stations quite well. Nice and loud that's for sure. I was supposed to get one about a week ago but it didn't work out. I may be getting a 4900Z which is similar but only 60WPC. I too am not a big fan of the pushbutton and "Star Trek" era stuff but it is from '80 to '82 which was the time I was born so if I find one, I'm grabbing it. I think you will like it. Sorry I don't have anymore info for you.
 
I have had a 8900zdb and have a 7900z.Nice units from the last of the decent Sansuis.I am not too fond of the push button volume but i can live with it.I like these receivers.One of the featurs I like is the pre-sets.Sometimes it just gets tiring moving the knob from one end to the other.
 
Thanks guys. I have tried to keep the "vintage bug" low budget. I have put together a fairly decent system for almost nothing, thanks partly to my brother. The late 70's 25 wpc receivers I have are "second string" now that I inherited the 7900Z.

All of my gear is in GREAT cosmetic condition, but now I have a receiver in great condition/working order that actually has some performance. The tuner seems to be better than any of my others in terms of pulling in stations with less static ( I only have a wire attached to it at the present time)
 
Kind of a specialty...

When I began my Sansui odyssey of the modern era, it was in search of a replacement for a 3900Z that I bought new ca. 1982, but which had corroded around the AA battery holder. Now a few years later, and MANY eBay purchases later, one part of my collection includes a 5900Z, 7900Z and 9900Z. Oh, and I jumped the battery holder on the old 3900Z so it works now. I love the 9900Z. It is my basement shop system hooked up to a pair of sp5500A's. I'm also very fond of the 5900Z that I installed in my wife's hobby room, with a pair of little sp35's. Different models change from/to knobs/buttons for volume and tuning. My 9900Z has rotary knob tuning, while 3900Z has push button. I do like having the push button station presets, but NOT the push button tuning or volume. By the way, I also have a "Big G" G8000, and a 9090db, both of which I prefer to the 9900Z, but the Z holds its own among these TOTL units, at least if you don't open it up and look inside - just not the same look of perfection. I've thought of becoming the official "Museum of Sansui n900Z", but that would require more acquisition, and perhaps loss of spouse...
[p.s. I mostly lurk here, but thought I'd chime in on this one.]
 
Thanks for "chiming in" Other than the Sp-2000 speakers I got from my dad, this receiver is the first Sansui I have ever owned. I had my dad's Sansui 5000 receiver for a day. My buddy (who is a multi millionaire) sanded drywall while it played on the counter. It stopped playing and he threw it away before I could look at it.
 
Well just when I put my system back together, and pushed to the wall, my brother gives me another receiver....thanks bro!!

Always willing to help....... :D

I am going out thrifting this morning so you never know what might end up at your door next......
 
i purchased my 7900z new in 1981. still the families daily user. if i can find the spec sheet, i will post it. to me this is the last of the quality built sansui line,the later Z models are where the quality begins to decline.
 
i purchased my 7900z new in 1981. still the families daily user. if i can find the spec sheet, i will post it. to me this is the last of the quality built sansui line,the later Z models are where the quality begins to decline.

Thank you OLDTIMESOUND. Anything you can find would be great. I have a 1980 catalog with the previous Sansui line (G-33000, G-9700, G-7500 etc) I can only assume that it has similar specs to the G-7500.
 
Back
Top Bottom