• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 8080 -- no lights.....

boatdrinks77

Well-Known Member
Hi guys, picked up a SANSUI 8080 the other day at the thrift store.. Receiver works, but none of the lights work except the protection circuit light and one of the power meters..... Am i missing something simple ?? The FM,AM,PHONO,AUX and FM DOLBY bulbs all look physically good, so I'm thinking its something else, not bulbs.. Thanks in advance. Dan :music:
 
Register to hide this ad
There may be a fuse for those lamps. I don't recall.

Or, it could be a selector switch issue. Have you cleaned it?

Rob
 
There may be a fuse for those lamps. I don't recall.

Or, it could be a selector switch issue. Have you cleaned it?

Rob

checked all the fuses - unless there is a hidden fuse that I didn't see..... I have not de-oxed yet. I read on another thread that the lights run through the selector switch on the 9090..... Thanks for the reply Rob !
 
Take a look at the Freequntly asked questions sticky at the top of the page.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I have a lot of difficulty doing ANY search on AK. I clicked on FAQ, typed in 8080, Sansui 8080, Sansui and each time it comes back with "no matches found"
 
Lamp power is fed off of pin 11 on the power supply board- it's fused, F05, which is a 3amp fuse according to the manual- check the fuse, remove the fuse to do so. May be blown or bad contact- if it's good then the lamps could all be bad.

If it's just the selector lamps, power for the lamps is fed from the power supply board into the eq board f-2541 on pin 41. The ground for the selector lamps feeds back to pin 19 on the power supply board. Make sure the ground is good.

Lots to check.
 
Last edited:
Hit it. Sometimes the lights on the left hand side of the tuner goes off on my 8080DB and I just smack the top and they come back on. Probably not going to fix yours but it works for mine lol.
 
Hit it. Sometimes the lights on the left hand side of the tuner goes off on my 8080DB and I just smack the top and they come back on. Probably not going to fix yours but it works for mine lol.

Reflow the solder on the fuse type lamp clips. Guaranteed.
 
A great tip for 8080(non db) is to look at threads abouts lights in 9090(non db) the lamp circuits in those are exactly the same and theres plenty of threads about 9090.

The dial/needle lamps are feed through the selector too on an 8080(non db) because they are only turned on in tuner modes. So it could be selector, check the incoming power and clean the switch. Are the lights for the VU-meters black too?

A simple way of checking incoming power: Pin 41 in the molexcontact, should be ~6,5VAC against ground regardless of selector mode.

On my 8080 the power feed to pin 41 had been moved to pin 39 so all lights went through the dial lamps(as long as they worked the only thing you would notice is that indicator bulbs for phono/aux was black and when the dial lamps went, everything turned black).
 
Well, as usual, you guys were right... The selector switch was the culprit !!! De-oxed and all the lights came on !!! Then I changed the pin configuration so the lights stay on even in PHONO and AUX mode !!! I love this receiver !! Thank you AUDIOKARMA.....my favorite website !!! Dan :music:
 
Back
Top Bottom