• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 9090db, 9090, 9000db, 9000, QRX-5500?

gabbylgm

New Member
Trying to pick a receiver. Any thoughts between these?

Also looking at a Marantz 4400.

Would love a Sansui 22000 or the ultimate prize of a 33000, but trying to not get sucked into the insane prices those are pulling in, as I certainly don't have that kind of money to just hand over to get a receiver for a personal vintage stereo system.

Should I even be this enthralled with Sansui and/or Marantz?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
 
Register to hide this ad
The G-9000 is much better than the 9090/DB.
There is plenty of great performing vintage audio that isn't a big four name. Shop around.

Why even mention the QRX-5500 comparatively? I'd stay away from quads.
 
A lot goes into that choice. If you're exploring and like to flip stuff, then I think buying something with a name brand makes sense. If you tend to hang on to things then resale doesn't have to be your prime concern.
Price will vary based on condition but if you are into DIY then you can get better deals by investing in potential.

The two unit s you mention are way up the price list and you're paying a bit of coin to own a legend, like high end Marantz or Macintosh.

I would actually start with your speakers and go from there. What will drive them and what is the frequency response and efficiency. That should point you to a range of products that will match them.
 
The QRX, one cracked open on the bench as I type this seems to be a well made nice unit but it is older and probably doesn't have the clean sound of later units, don't know yet, haven't heard it, but it is quad and limited to 25 wpc as it does not offer a switch to go 2-channel stereo using both amps for more power so it would be a 25 wpc stereo unit, too.

The 4400 is 65 pounds of pure electronics crammed into a 25 pound sack and that means if you don't buy one that is fully restores (385 electronic components, caps, diodes, variable resistors, small signal transistors) for the going rate of about 3grand or so the future of that unit could be costly.

I liked the way the 9090db drove a pair of Magneplanars but didn't test others on your list. I believe the G might be better as stated above.

I am not enthralled with the highly taxed brands, the Pio/Mar/Sui/Mac gear is just too much money compared to the performance if the performance is something you want. If you want a brand where friends and neighbors ooh and aah, fine but if you want to spend significantly less for more there are a lot of brands out there that do that.

to get a receiver for a personal vintage stereo system.

Exactly what does this mean? Do you need high power? Kent talking about a Craig but the statement fits a lot of receivers:

...This receiver is basically my favorite type of receiver, medium power, 50 honest watts/channel. Well made, reliable, and sounds excellent. Not a monster in terms of power, but plenty for most who drive average efficient speakers.

Tell us more of what you want to do and we can narrow the search.
 
Avoid the 9090dB. The Dolby board has about 40 feed thrus that connect the 2 sides of the board. The technology was primitive when this was built and the feedthrus go intermittent, causing channels to drop out. All the audio is routed through the Dolby board, so even if the Dolby is off, it drops channels. You have to remove the board (not easy to do), remove the selector switch and solder a wire through each of the 40 feed thrus to fix this. It is a costly repair. The 9090 doesn't have this problem. Neither of them sound as good as the G8000 and G9000, IMO. the Eight and Eight Deluxe are also very good. Avoid 4 channel receivers, very few have good amplifiers in them, and they are easily damaged by playing at loud volumes.
 
9090 owner here - been recapped and sounds amazing. Can't speak to the other models but if they do sound better than the 9090 they must really be something.
 
I consider the Sansui 9090 my favorite big receiver ever built, a combination of sound and good looks. I have owned most of the big heavy hitter vintage receivers, but like the 9090 sound the best.

20200607_093749.jpg
 
I am so appreciative of the feedback so far!! This will be my one and only system. I have a couple thousand vintage (and new) vinyl's. In all honesty, I am completely smitten with looks, and want a receiver (and entire system) that looks good! I have a Sansui QS-500. I didn't know what it was when I purchased it, and neither did the seller. While I can't really do anything with it, and need to sell it, I absolutely love the looks of it when it's lit up at night. So yes, a big part of what I'm looking for has to with the looks of the system including the meters. I also love power, so I'm also learning a lot about that part through the information you're providing. I don't crank up the volume nearly as much as I used to, but I do like to do so often enough that it's important to me, and I enjoy just sitting and letting the sound pulse through me. I know that speakers matter the most in that regards (so feel free to chime in here as well), but I also know I need a receiver that will power them. (Not sure if I need an amp as well, but I am trying to learn everything I can during this process!!)
 
I have the 9090db.
Other than a little Deox-it, zero issues.
I can't compare to the other Sansui's, however the 9090db was quite good powering a pair of HPM-200's.
fad59b98cb922950ca38ef5acc0fbc04.jpg
 
Unless you're using a QRX for Quadraphonic, I'd skip those models, and stick to a Stereo model. I'd go for something like a Sansui 5500, or a Seven over those models unless your speakers are inefficient and power hungry, those medium power Sansuis for me are better for listening to music on.
 
Back
Top Bottom