• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui A-60 Amp - Power Supply Issue

raynmanwerks

New Member
Hello there AK'ers. Hope this is the correct forum for questions I am posing..Here goes.
I recently purchased a few items off CL, one of which was an Sansui A-60 Amp in beautiful condition. While auditioning the equipment, 2 things popped up, but I overlooked them.
1. the amplifier meters on the front were demonstrating signal when the amp was idle no source..Meters were jumping - speakers were off.
2. the guy had a EQ in line via tape inputs/outputs that received signal but was not impacting it - meaning no changes were noticeable when the EQ controls were moved.
Nevertheless, the unit played fine (for the 5 mins I heard it) and I bought it.

When I got home and hooked it up, with no source turned on, I started to see the meters jumping again.
When the speakers were engaged I heard this as noise, sort of a crackling hum..uh oh..

Further, when the unit is first turned on and cold, I started to hear some clicking and what sounded like gurgling coming from the transformer (power supply?) or very near it. I think I smelled ozone too, could be wrong about.
the unit still plays - tried input sources into aux and tape inputs. No static from controls.

When playing periodically, I will get some distortion or cracking sound. When the unit warms up, the noise issue goes away, crackling and humming and gurgling seem to go away too.
Turn it off, and back on again however, the condition returns - meters jump, gurgling and clicky sounds.
It takes like 3 minutes, and then it quiets down.

I tried using contact cleaner (deoxit like product) on boards and pots, did not affect the performance, so likely not due to dirty conductors on boards.

What do you suspect is the problem with this unit? seems like a failing component - but which one? is it a cap or a transistor, the power supply? It seems to me that the problem will likely only get worse with time and likely cause the unit to fail altogether at some point. I'm afraid the dang thing might catch on fire if left unattended.

any advice would be most appreciated.
ps. I contacted the seller on CL to see if he is an honorable man and will take it back as it was clearly damaged and sold as 100% working.

thank you!
 
Register to hide this ad
I started to hear some clicking and what sounded like gurgling coming from the transformer (power supply?) or very near it. I think I smelled ozone too, could be wrong about.


I'd have a close look at the power switch. It may be internally arcing across the contacts.
 
If it is the switch. Contact and switch cleaners won't have much impact on it. The switch needs to be disassembled , inspected, and possibly salvage the pitted/carboned contacts.By burnishing the contacts.
 
If that unit is similar to the A-40, which I repaired 3 or 4 last year, common problems are: power switch, rectifier bridge (seems too small and prone to fail), 2SA798 transistors at the power amp (crackling noises and high DC offset).

I hope this helps.
 
Thank you folks for your feedback.
Yikes! over my head really, The gent was nice enough to take it back as I wrote a long email and demonstrated the problem for him when I returned it.
I got a great price on it cause I bought a few more things with it originally, but honestly this would be over my head to attempt - at least with this otherwise beautiful piece of gear. Perhaps next time on a lesser unit.
I learned a few valuable lessons when purchasing piece of equipment. They seem obvious in retrospect now..but I bought a defective unit:
Add to due diligence checklist - turning a warmed up unit off and letting it cool, then fire it up and listen, smell. It was on and warmed up when I got there 1st time.
And sometimes even nice people "hide" things. You really got to be diligent - like checklist diligent - and not get distracted by a beautiful exterior. A suckers born every day so they say.

Anyway, I digress -
thank you guys for your feedback. this is a great forum.
 
Back
Top Bottom