• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui AU-317II troubleshooting help requested....

Let the repairing begin :D

Yeah...... :)

All 4 outputs are bench tested, greased and installed with new mica insulators.

Flipped on the switch, and the DBT went dim immediately, followed by the relay clicking closed a few seconds later.

:banana:

So far, so good.

So, now I need to replace the driver transistors and the resistors you listed. Should I go through the bias adjustment first, or wait and do it at the end?
 
Excellent!!

You could check the DC offset and try setting the bias before changing out the other components to confirm that everything is operating correctly (you can do this with the dim bulb connected), and then wind the bias back to fully CCW. If you are replacing the bias pots make sure they are set for min bias before installing.
 
I elected not to replace the bias pots. I just finished the DC Offset and bias adjustments, very easy and they adjusted almost perfectly. The closest I could get on the DC offset was 0.01v, and the closest I could get on the bias was 13.2mv..... Close enough.

Going through the resistors now, and then I'll tackle the driver transistors and finish up with a complete re-cap. Small problem, though..... I booted the order and failed to include the 6.8 Ohm resistors. I always forget something.
 
Last edited:
Sorry to wander off topic, but can one of you people with knowledge of this amp tell me the differences between the AU-317 and 317II?

I picked up a 317 at a yard sale last summer. Impressive little amp. I like the simple, low profile design. Build quality puts my AU-D11 II to shame. It's going in my office system.

Good luck with your restoration work Uncle B!
 
Ok, then...... new drivers, new outputs, new resistors. Changed TR09 and TR10 on the main amp board while I was at it, because I don't like 1313's and I had current replacements on hand.

Listening to the amp right now on the DBT. This is my first Sansui, and I gotta say..... it has a very nice sound. :music:

I will take it off the DBT and re-do the offset and bias. Also - it has a couple of scratchy pots that need some De-Oxit, and I have yet to do the re-cap. I think this is going to bump the Pioneer SX-650 out of my office system when I'm done.
 
I elected not to replace the bias pots. I just finished the DC Offset and bias adjustments, very easy and they adjusted almost perfectly. The closest I could get on the DC offset was 0.01v, and the closest I could get on the bias was 13.2mv..... Close enough.

Going through the resistors now, and then I'll tackle the driver transistors and finish up with a complete re-cap. Small problem, though..... I booted the order and failed to include the 6.8 Ohm resistors. I always forget something.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 6.8 ohm, as they measured OK they should be fine.

Ok, then...... new drivers, new outputs, new resistors. Changed TR09 and TR10 on the main amp board while I was at it, because I don't like 1313's and I had current replacements on hand.

Listening to the amp right now on the DBT. This is my first Sansui, and I gotta say..... it has a very nice sound. :music:

I will take it off the DBT and re-do the offset and bias. Also - it has a couple of scratchy pots that need some De-Oxit, and I have yet to do the re-cap. I think this is going to bump the Pioneer SX-650 out of my office system when I'm done.

I reckon both the 317 and 317II are great amps, small form factor but they pack plenty of power and sound great.

Good job on the repair, glad to see it is up and running!!

Cheers

John
 
Sorry to wander off topic, but can one of you people with knowledge of this amp tell me the differences between the AU-317 and 317II?

I picked up a 317 at a yard sale last summer. Impressive little amp. I like the simple, low profile design. Build quality puts my AU-D11 II to shame. It's going in my office system.

Good luck with your restoration work Uncle B!

Hi,

The main differences are -

317 - rated at 50 Watts, has pre-out/main in jumpers (can be used as a pre-amp)

317II - rated at 60 Watts , doesn't have pre-out/main in jumpers (can't be used as a pre-amp),

Cheers

John
 
Here's a question, maybe someone can advise?

When putting the cap list together, I failed to notice that C614 and C613 were bipolar. C614 is no problem - I have a 50v 1uf poly film cap I can use. But C613 is a 6.3v 100uf bipolar...... all I have on-hand are some 35v 100uf polarized electrolytic caps.

I'm looking at the schematic and it does not look like I can substitute, based on how the diodes are laid out. True?
 
Thanks, that's what I figured.

This one is done, then. With the exception of C613 on the main board and the four 68 ohm resistors, the unit is completely recapped and sports new outputs, drivers, and "fuse" resistors.

Offset and bias adjustments are complete, and the unit is officially discharged from the hospital and ready resume a useful life.

Thanks guys, you were a huge help.
 
Last edited:
Well done doctor John, great to hear that the patient is now healthy again and ready for many more years work.

Cheers

John
 
Well done doctor John, great to hear that the patient is now healthy again and ready for many more years work.

Cheers

John

Thanks again for your help.

I really enjoyed working on my first Sansui - I found it well laid out and easy to move around and get to everything I needed to get to.

Plus, it sounds wonderful and I can even play my guitar through it. The MIC jack even has its own volume pot..... Sweet! This unit will probably bump the Pioneer SX-650 from my home office rack.
 
Nice thread. I had saved it among the others when I arrived here with my first AU-317...

Just got another one today, this time the Mk-II, like yours. Paid 20 Euros for the unit, plus two small speakers for free...

au317mk2.jpg


Just couldn't re$ist... :worried:

Now, I'll test it and see what's inside...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom