• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui AU 819 vs Sansui AU X711

Thanks Rob.

When I took mine to a tech to have it checked out he could find nothing wrong with it and was quite impressed.

Cesar, if you haven’t already, you should register your AU-X711 in the Sansui database. This shows only one TU-X701 and one TU-X711. I think that I registered mine but will check later today.
 
Thanks Rob.

When I took mine to a tech to have it checked out he could find nothing wrong with it and was quite impressed.

Cesar, if you haven’t already, you should register your AU-X711 in the Sansui database. This shows only one TU-X701 and one TU-X711. I think that I registered mine but will check later today.

I really should add a bunch of my gear to the database, particularly the Alphas.

Dad (skippy124) has a TU-X711 at his place too, and he undertook some modifications to a second TU-X711 for a customer about a decade ago from memory. The owner's feedback was as follows:


"I spent some time today comparing my Stereo-Surgeons-modded TU-X1 against the newly modded TU-X711 (with output matched as close as I can get).

On 102.5 Fine Music FM, which is one of Australia's best FM sources, it is difficult to tell them apart. There is a tiny bit more emotion coming through in the TU-X1, but not much else to differentiate them. About the same amount of air around instruments. Bass is very similar, but maybe a bit more incisive through the TU-X711. I haven't heard any really complex music yet or a live concert, but it is already clear that the modded TU-X711 is undoubtedly an outstanding tuner by any measure."


Pretty impressive!
 
Thanks Rob.

When I took mine to a tech to have it checked out he could find nothing wrong with it and was quite impressed.

Cesar, if you haven’t already, you should register your AU-X711 in the Sansui database. This shows only one TU-X701 and one TU-X711. I think that I registered mine but will check later today.
Thank you Marc, I'll do it today!
 
@Robisme Your x711 setup is stunningly beautiful; it's a perfect match and everything I aspire to now. Congratulations!


@Robisme @mjs1
I have some questions regarding different versions of the AU-X711 amplifier. On the back, mine doesn't have an impedance selector and has three voltage outputs, one of which is switched. Also, the power consumption of my amplifier is 510 watts, and I've seen versions with 710 watts...
I'd like to know if there are other differences and if these changes are due to modifications over the years of production. I've attached photos of mine.
1000240887.jpg
1000240888.jpg
1000240833.jpg
 
Last edited:
Cesar, there is not much help that I can give you here. The Sansui database, I believe, shows no years of production although the serial number registry shows entries from 1989 to 1992. Looking at images on Google there are indeed variations in the back panel possibly related to the different markets. I doubt that circuitry changed significantly during what was likely a three year production run.

I don’t collect CD players and it is not likely you would be able to replace lasers on the old models but I feel the perverse duty to inform you that there is a CD-X711.

Actually, I checked and you can still find a replacement laser for under $100 on line. But, who listens to CDs these days anyway.
 
Last edited:
Cesar, there is not much help that I can give you here. The Sansui database, I believe, shows no years of production although the serial number registry shows entries from 1989 to 1992. Looking at images on Google there are indeed variations in the back panel possibly related to the different markets. I doubt that circuitry changed significantly during what was likely a three year production run.

I don’t collect CD players and it is not likely you would be able to replace lasers on the old models but I feel the perverse duty to inform you that there is a CD-X711.

Actually, I checked and you can still find a replacement laser for under $100 on line. But, who listens to CDs these days anyway.
Wow, I really love the CD player too , and I'm certainly in love with this whole X or Alpha line. Before, I had the typical prejudice against plastic and the perception of low quality associated with Sansui from the eighties... Now I'm a fan. I loved the sound of my X711, and its aesthetics are amazing. I can't wait to get home from work to listen to it.
I'll keep researching everything about these wonderful pieces of equipment.
1000240441.jpg
 
Last edited:
@kleinbus: I own a CD-X711. Looked beautiful when I bought it, really a 9/10 for a 30 years old player. However, I detected very fast that I couldn't force it to play CDs that were longer then something like 76min. Then it would run into trouble and stop playing it. Over the months it also developed "skips" over new CDs that worked fine before.
I think the used laser is a KSS-152 but there is nearly no NOS anywhere, just Chinese crap on ebay that won't work - just had the thing with my one CD-717DR that I brought to repair. The new laser that I gave them did do nothing. Money wasted from my side...

Requires now some good service...
 
@Robisme Your x711 setup is stunningly beautiful; it's a perfect match and everything I aspire to now. Congratulations!


@Robisme @mjs1
I have some questions regarding different versions of the AU-X711 amplifier. On the back, mine doesn't have an impedance selector and has three voltage outputs, one of which is switched. Also, the power consumption of my amplifier is 510 watts, and I've seen versions with 710 watts...
I'd like to know if there are other differences and if these changes are due to modifications over the years of production. I've attached photos of mine.


There are three different version of the 711.

The XX and SS "export" models have the round "international" voltage selector with 120, 220 and 240V settings and do not have the impedance selection switch.

The EU models have the sliding 220/240V voltage selector along with the sliding impedance selection switch.

1773950045690.png
 
The XX and SS "export" models have the round "international" voltage selector with 120, 220 and 240V settings and do not have the impedance selection switch.
Thank you @pete_mac and The different enrrgy consumption between the versions is very curious to me, and I can assume they're also internally different, since the American version consumes 40% more energy... What could explain this discrepancy?
1000241215.jpg

1000241216.jpg
 
@kleinbus: I own a CD-X711. Looked beautiful when I bought it, really a 9/10 for a 30 years old player. However, I detected very fast that I couldn't force it to play CDs that were longer then something like 76min. Then it would run into trouble and stop playing it. Over the months it also developed "skips" over new CDs that worked fine before.
I think the used laser is a KSS-152 but there is nearly no NOS anywhere, just Chinese crap on ebay that won't work - just had the thing with my one CD-717DR that I brought to repair. The new laser that I gave them did do nothing. Money wasted from my side...

Requires now some good service...

Few pics - as that CD-Player is actually a real beauty:
CD-X711_klein_1.jpg

CD-X711_klein_2.jpg

CD-X711_klein_3.jpg
 
A question for peterott:

The DAC must be nearly identical to that in the AU-X911. Despite its “primitive” design I think that the X911 sounds great with headphones (I haven’t used it much with speakers) when giving it digital inputs. Would you share your feelings on sound quality of the CDX and can it be used as a DAC for other digital inputs with an appropriate digital input cable?
 
Oh sorry, I can't tell you much of the impression compared to other players and no idea about the digital input cable either.
As I have no 1:1 test-switch for switching between CD-players on one and the same amplifier for a A vs. B check.

The only real audible difference when doing this test "serial", was when listening first to a Technics SL-PS7 and then directly connecting to a CD-alpha717DR and listening again (on one and the same amp, an AU-919). It was immediately clear that the Sansui had way more bass, because the sound difference was so obvious. But to be honest: when my CD-X711 in the main system developed the "skippings" and got replaced by a CD-alpha717DR, I couldn't tell you any audible difference for my ears. Now, I listen to a huge wall of noise (Death-, Black-, Thrash Metal) and at a certain point of detail level, at least my ears won't tell me any differences anymore.

About the XLR: I have currently connected my CD-alpha717DR over coax and over the digital cables to my 907MRX amp. As I need loudness, bass-control and treble-control, the switch to the "BALANCED" XLR-input is a "don't need it" for me, because with that setting the 907MRX will only control volume, but none of the tone controls does work.
 
interesting rpbisme. Your screen doesn't have the orange filter on your x711. In case anyone is interested. The x701 and 711 are identical inside and if one were to purchase one from Europe ( As I did years ago or Japan. It can be converted to us frequencies with just the addition of a couple diodes and jumpers. I did it on my European version using the repair manual The only bummer is needing the power converter to match the country it comes from
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6457.jpeg
    IMG_6457.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 9
interesting rpbisme. Your screen doesn't have the orange filter on your x711. In case anyone is interested. The x701 and 711 are identical inside and if one were to purchase one from Europe ( As I did years ago or Japan. It can be converted to us frequencies with just the addition of a couple diodes and jumpers. I did it on my European version using the repair manual The only bummer is needing the power converter to match the country it comes from

Hi Tony.
Could you please explain in detail of how you accomplished converting the frequency?
Possibly start a new thread in this forum explaining the process.
I think alot of members would be very interested in knowing how to do this.
 
Back
Top Bottom