• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sansui au 99000 compare to au 666

impho

New Member
Hi

I have now listening sansui about 5 years. First one was 4000 and now i have au 666. it sound pretty wonderful and i like that tube like sound what it delivers.
But my peakers yearns more power (ar 2ax) and i have a change to get au 9900.
So do au 9900 have same tube like sound or should i stay with au 666.
 
Register to hide this ad
Nope your peakers are likely wore out and your amplifier too. With mass market Japanese audio, there's always better ones what have been used just enough to be better, offer more power and use get a less worn pair of AR2ax peakers.
 
when you say your speakers yearn for more power do you mean that you can get high enough listening volumes in your room? As I recall the ar2ax are around only 82dB/W/m but the au-666 should be enough in a small-medium room. I drove some MGIIb (also 82db/W/m) with the AU-666 in a medium sized room for a couple of years with no problems.

On the other hand, if you just mean that you would just like improved sound quality rather than volume, I would consider refurbishing (if it hasn't been done already) the AU-666 with new caps and semiconductor. This could be the best way to keep the warmth/tone of this amp but have a bit more clarity etc.

If you don't want to refurb, or you really just want more volume, perhaps some of the other guys with more sansui experience than me can suggest amp alternatives that are more powerful and still warm in tone.
 
Just an opinion, but if I wanted to keep the sound of the AU666, and drive the AR2ax speakers, I'd look for an AU999, preferably one that has been refurbished. If that's too hard to find, find a used AU 999, and spend the restoration money on the higher-powered amp.

BTW, I went to see an AU-999 for sale in the Vancouver area, but it was $400 Can. asking, and the cosmetics did not warrant that price. I did not have the heart to tell the seller in front of his wife, but the amp was probably worth only $200. Everything worked, though, and it's still on Vancouver Craigslist.
 
thanks for athe help.
I decide to buy 9900 (because in here it is very hard to find 9500 999) and listen to it if i don't like the sound i will sell it and recap my 666.
I am shearhing for more power becouse i think it will give me more controlled bass.
But i will listen these amps side by side and make my decision.

BTW has anyone any knowledge how easy it is to convert 999 110v to 230v system
 
thanks for athe help.
I decide to buy 9900 (because in here it is very hard to find 9500 999) and listen to it if i don't like the sound i will sell it and recap my 666.
I am shearhing for more power becouse i think it will give me more controlled bass.
But i will listen these amps side by side and make my decision.

BTW has anyone any knowledge how easy it is to convert 999 110v to 230v system

Usually it's a simple task to move a plug over internally.
The service manual shows how.
C
 
thanks for athe help.
I decide to buy 9900 (because in here it is very hard to find 9500 999) and listen to it if i don't like the sound i will sell it and recap my 666.
I am shearhing for more power becouse i think it will give me more controlled bass.
But i will listen these amps side by side and make my decision.

BTW has anyone any knowledge how easy it is to convert 999 110v to 230v system

Very easy to convert a AU999 to 230V......

Which country are you based in?

If you like your AU666 you will definitely like the AU999, no question....

But I would plan on doing a full upgrade and the mods to the AU999, as it can be transformed into a legendary sounding unit with them....

I think in stock form they are OK, but more on the average side rather then the impressive side, but they are a wolf in sheep's clothing, mine sounds amazing.....

They need a mod done to the pre-amp so it can properly drive the poweramp section....
The Sub-sonic filter needs removing if it has one (later ones didn't have them).
Upgrade the main PSU ripple filters to 10,000µf.
Upgrade the bridge rectifier (the stock one is a bit on the weak side, and prone to failure)
Replace all of the "flying saucer" transistors, the driver board is full of them and on some of them so is the pre-amp.
I vastly improved the SNR of mine replacing ALL the transistors in the preamp...
They have this horrible protection device which needs removing, but just be aware if you do remove it, there will be no DC protection should something fail....
This is why a complete rebuild is the way to go......

Unfortunately I don't use my AU999 any more, I was thinking of selling it, but because it has been my development unit, I don't think i could bare to sell it.....

The good thing about all this, it that they are very easy to work on, modular and basic, just the way we like it....
Even a newbie with guidance can do all these mods and restoration work, the AU999 is one of the easiest amplifiers you could hope to work on....
 
Back
Top Bottom