• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui BA-F1 & CA-F1

lixaudio

Active Member
Just finished repairing a couple of Sansui pre CA-F1 and power amp BA-F1. Complete recap, some scratchy pots and bad joints on the pre, burnt left channel on the power amp. Works fine now, at least the oscilloscope shows so. Thanks once again to RobV for his help.
Two photos for the curious.

LIX
 

Attachments

  • sBA-F1-int.jpg
    sBA-F1-int.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 158
  • sBA-F1.jpg
    sBA-F1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 179
Register to hide this ad
Just finished repairing a couple of Sansui pre CA-F1 and power amp BA-F1. Complete recap, some scratchy pots and bad joints on the pre, burnt left channel on the power amp. Works fine now, at least the oscilloscope shows so. Thanks once again to RobV for his help.
Two photos for the curious.

LIX

wow those are beautiful Lix...I'm quite curious where these rank in the public court of opinion...or in some trusted folks' ears. Are these components on par with a Yamaha M85 for instance? Are they considered to be nicer?
 
wow those are beautiful Lix...I'm quite curious where these rank in the public court of opinion...or in some trusted folks' ears. Are these components on par with a Yamaha M85 for instance? Are they considered to be nicer?
IMHO, a Yamaha M-85 couldn't lick the solder off a Sansui BA-F1's nuts :D
At 110WPC versus 260, only thing the M-85 has over it is brute power.

Sadly the BA-F1 I have in for repair at the moment has been in the hands of a hacker sometime in its life. I've only had a preliminary inspection but some tell-tale signs of solder iron melted wires, very poor soldering and burnt traces. If that wasn't enough, the original outputs are long gone as well (big part of what makes the amp what it is). Looks like some reasonably recent work as well since the thermal paste looks pretty fresh and there was enough of it used to coat another boat load of devices. This one is gonna be fun, I just know it :sigh:
 
Thanks guys.
I cannot say anything about the sound yet. It's too premature, maybe after 50 hours of burn in.
I know these are highly respected amps and I don't want to make comparisons with M85, but I could make comparisons with M4. What would I keep? M4 & C4. Similar electronics but better built.

LIX
 
Back
Top Bottom