• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sansui G-6000 Smell - Common?

Ben Bassett

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My G-6000 produces a characteristic "vintage" smell when turned on. Is this common or a sign of a failing component? I have had it for 3 years and am currently recapping. So far, I have replaced the filter caps, and those on the driver board and deoxited all pots and push buttons. Seems to be all original and little dust inside. Overall, was pretty clean when acquired with a little muddy, non-punchy bass. Any experienced guess as to what component (and where) may be causing this? Or if this is a common characteristic smell for the G-series?
 
Register to hide this ad
Or if this is a common characteristic smell for the G-series?
Not of only the G series - several other series have this too. Nobody is quite sure what it is, maybe soldering flux? the PCB's themselves? - and my favourite the Sansui Glue :yikes: Once reconditioned with total glue removal included the smell almost completely disappears. I would describe the smell as Citrussy, Sickly Sweet, and a bit musty, and tends to be more noticeable when the unit has been powered on for ½ hour or more.

BTW: This query comes up as regular as clockwork... nobody seems to use 'Search' to find it, and the same answers and speculation come out every time. :rolleyes:
 
Thanks for the info and heads up to use the Search function first. I'm going to thoroughly clean/remove all the old flux as a hopeful remedy. It is particularly noticeable on this one receiver (my G-6000) and not so on my other 4 Sansui's. So, I thought it might have been particular to the G-series only, but an AK search now shows otherwise. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
 
Back
Top Bottom