• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui G-8000 Cabinet Veneered In Walnut

G-8000 Veneer refinish

Great job so far. I have the same receiver, and want to refinish mine as well. What can you tell me about the substrate underneath? In your pic, it doesnt look half bad actually. Would this be something that can be stained or?? without any negative effects? Anything sure beats the cheap finish they used.


"With the laminate removed, that cabinet looks great with only the substrate exposed."
 
Great job so far. I have the same receiver, and want to refinish mine as well. What can you tell me about the substrate underneath? In your pic, it doesnt look half bad actually. Would this be something that can be stained or?? without any negative effects? Anything sure beats the cheap finish they used.


"With the laminate removed, that cabinet looks great with only the substrate exposed."


I have removed the laminate from several 8080 cases and the substrate condition is variable from having a very nice grain to being practically grainless. Also the substrate is pine so it is soft, my G-9000 case had practically no grain at all.
 
Nice job - Both of you! I can't wait to see the finished units.

I think I really lucked out with my 2000x - The wood cabinet is in excellent shape (for a '72!), and the finish is still smooth and it hasn't lost that reddish luster - I had no idea they looked so-good when new - Those catalog shots just don't do those old receivers justice.
 
Wow!!! It looks fantastic! :thmbsp:

I am currently in the middle of veneering job on my G22000... I am using real rosewood veneer, and I am going to show you some pictures...

I will post the final result when I will finish veneering job....

Kale,is there anything you can't do?
What can I say;NICE,REALLY NICE.:banana:

PS-My G22 is still waiting for restauration...:D:D
 
Looks great Darrin.Guess I better get off my arse and finish up the innards..
 
Looks great Darrin.Guess I better get off my arse and finish up the innards..

You got time, friend. :thmbsp: You coming to doucanoe's shindig in May? Dennydog's still working on your Yammie stands so perhaps we can set that as the goal date for both projects. :D
 
Was going to try and make it. Is it scheduled for the 30th?
 
Thanks for the info - great job - I was wondering how to get that crappy plastic off - now I have a new project -
 
I finished my veneering job on G22000, and I wish to show you my final result. First, I would like to say you I didnt wish to get finish like on this picture, I tried to get it as close as original, but I didnt achieve original Sansui rosewood, in the other hand, it looks really nice now...

6fhng0tq8e43e4bilp41.jpg
 
Last edited:
Looks very nice Darren. :)
btw, when is this get together again? (link to a posting?) I might be able to make it.
 
Some more pictures...

k120x0p76akr69ug5s5j.jpg


eh3e3wloh5nx6ozuygru.jpg


22am5fb1xyof1p1jqu3b.jpg


m6fllavjltex6zgfnbg.jpg


The G22000 is still in restoration process, because of that you dont see knobs....
 
When you're done with that beast, Kale, send it to me. :D

Yes, sure :D, that receiver once has crossed the Atlantic ocean last year, why not once more :)

BTW, now I have some fresh pictures of receiver, this time with connected the power part unit...

etfz79onn3m1pcew8214.jpg


1j438k7x6tqe47m9x9l1.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom