• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui G-8000 Receiver Dead (or Silent) on Arrival

G8000 is in the Hospital!

The G8000 is at Audio Pro now in Watertown under the care of the emergency room technicians until Dr Vince comes back next week. The unit caused quite a stir when I brought it in. A customer on the way out stopped to check it out, admitting he'd heard the legend of G8000 but never seen one in real life. A tech came out from the workbench in the back to look it over and lift it. I left instructions to look it over and to write up every fault they find in detail, instead of the usual short hand of trouble tickets.
 
Peter, Too bad Dr. Vince is out of the office! We are awaiting a report on the diagnosis.
As I mentioned above, I hope he finds a loose connector and then gives it a good D & C.
If this is not the case, I really do hope he can be definitive by saying " No way this was a working unit or was DOA due to shipping".
What he really finds will be of great interest to many.
Keep us posted.
Gary
 
gamalot said:
Peter, Too bad Dr. Vince is out of the office! We are awaiting a report on the diagnosis.Gary

Re: a medical thriller —I discovered today that a 200-T that I received from ebay a month or more ago had in fact been bumped hard enough in shiipping to throw a plug-in transistor module (or something?) out into the chasis. Somehow I saw it free sitting there when staring into the wiring. It was socketed, so I plugged it back in. :)
-sf
 
I discovered today that a 200-T that I received from ebay a month or more ago had in fact been bumped hard enough in shiipping to throw a plug-in transistor module (or something?) out into the chasis. Somehow I saw it free sitting there when staring into the wiring. It was socketed, so I plugged it back in.

Some of the plugs are actually pretty loose fitting. I did some work on my G 8000 repairing the speaker terminals and after getting it all back together it stayed in protect.
Had to look really hard but I had put enough preasure on the harness to disconnect a plug going to one of the boards. When I slipped it back in place I was amazed at how easy it slid on or off.
Now, it would be the first place I look if a unit goes into protect. I also always clean those connectors and the pins when I am doing the Deoxit bath.
Gary
 
Initial Diagnosis from Dr Vince

Sansuists,

Dr Vince called today to tell me that whatever is causing the protection fault is somewhere on the main board in a place that cannot be accessed without full dismantling of the unit. The doctor, however, noted that the unit is in otherwise pristine and largely unused condition. He can't even see anything that needs cleaning. As far as he can tell, he is the first person to pull off the cover. Repairs will likely, then, go into three figures. Not enough to bankrupt the household but enough to cause even this Custodian of Ancient Audio some chagrin for paying more than $300 for the unit, although given recent inflation of prices for all things Sansui, I should probably count myself fortunuate. More news as our saga develops. Dr Vince said he should have a full diagnosis sometime tomorrow. . .

Peter


gamalot said:
Some of the plugs are actually pretty loose fitting. I did some work on my G 8000 repairing the speaker terminals and after getting it all back together it stayed in protect.
Had to look really hard but I had put enough preasure on the harness to disconnect a plug going to one of the boards. When I slipped it back in place I was amazed at how easy it slid on or off.
Now, it would be the first place I look if a unit goes into protect. I also always clean those connectors and the pins when I am doing the Deoxit bath.
Gary
 
$100 would not be too horrible a price to pay, but Honest To God the circuitry for the protection is NOT that tough to troubleshoot. The hinge of the matter is whether the protection is engaging because the offset has a problem, or whether the protection itself is faulty. That part can be determined in 5 minutes. As far as a complete repair, three hours (with smoke breaks, and I don't smoke) and it ought to be done.
 
Hi Peter and glad to hear there is hope. I am actually surprised to hear it is anything more then a minor repair.
I would certainly go by what EW has to say regarding the repair!

On another note regarding this unit that was supposed to be working when you purchased it. It does not sound to me like this was caused by shipping the unit and I wonder if your seller will be honorable.
I think I speak to the feelings of most here that a working unit should not require hundreds of dollars to get it WORKING.
Do keep us informed as to how your seller deals with this.

Gary
 
Back
Top Bottom