• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui G5700 vs. G33000 - a coupla pics

Here's my g-6700 in front of my g-22000. Now I'm like you looking for shelf space.
 

Attachments

  • g22000ag.jpg
    g22000ag.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 81
The G-22 and G-33 are exactly the same except for chrome trim on the 33 and a few more watts. Virtually all the parts are interchangeable.

It's definitely a receiver. The biggest reason it's in two pieces is you couldn't lift it otherwise. Neither the SX-1980 or the Marantz 2600 have separate toroidal transformers for each channel. The big Gs are in a class by themselves.

- Pete
 
I got a broken G5700 for $20 today, and I thought it was funny to compare the two amps. It's hard to convey how massive the G33000 is, and I think this works pretty well. The G5700 is what I would call a standard size receiver. These are pretty big pictures.

Pic 1
Pic 2

I'm trying to figure out how to use the G33000 without getting a dining room table to put it on.

I have something beyond envy for you.
 
This is why I feel bad. I have a Sansui G-9000. It's ceased operability due to a broken selector. I can't find the part. I could easily fix it, but I'm extremely hesitant to mess around with it. I don't want to mess it up anymore than it already is. I still need the selector or at least the long rood it uses for that. I have the knob. I'm wondering if anyone on Audiokarma might trade me so they can fix it? My mother, (original owner) just can't stand to have it sit here, and neither can I.
 
This is why I feel bad. I have a Sansui G-9000. It's ceased operability due to a broken selector. I can't find the part. I could easily fix it, but I'm extremely hesitant to mess around with it. I don't want to mess it up anymore than it already is. I still need the selector or at least the long rood it uses for that. I have the knob. I'm wondering if anyone on Audiokarma might trade me so they can fix it? My mother, (original owner) just can't stand to have it sit here, and neither can I.

Im sure if you post something in the Sansui forum you will get a bunch of people chiming in to help you.............
 
Yep, I don't have a extra cable or I'd hook you up. Good luck, but I bet they turn up on ebay fairly often.

I just fixed the G5700 - one electrolytic cap was bubbled and fried. I replaced it with one from the junk box and it fired right up. I just listened to Steely Dan Gaucho, and wow this thing is clean sounding. I plan to fully recap it in the near future for obvious reasons. I had a Marantz 2226 in this room, and it's pretty startling the difference between the two amps. I will say, however, that I'm a bit surprised how loud the Sansui isn't. I actually have to turn it up more than the Marantz to hit the same volume levels. I guess it could just be a difference in the volume pot taper or something, but if anyone is worried about a small Marantz being loud enough, they shouldn't.
 
IIRC, the G-33000 weight is closer to 105 pounds. No matter, it is still the HEAVYWEIGHT champion. The SX-1980 at a mere 78 pounds is a weakling in comparison.
I wouldn't go that far, Sam. The 1980 is no weakling. A better word would be a "breath" away. :twak:
 
Wow !

I've got a few nice pieces but I gotta admit, just looking at pics of those G22000 and G33000 turns my envy button a flashing bright green!

I've never seen those big units 'in the flesh' but I willin' to bet that the photos somehow just don't do them justice. Actually, I've not even heard of either of those models being in my neck of the woods....

You're a couple of lucky fellows!
 
I do feel very lucky. It was quite a score.

As for the sound - they have a very similar sound. I think the super fast slew rate translates into a very coherent treble response, so the amp is brighter sounding than most. With most of my amps I tend to boost the treble a bit, but with both of these it's almost too much with no EQ at all. But they are very fast and very open sounding, and I really like them a lot. I've only listened for a few hours, but I like the sound of the G5700 as much as the G33000.

I would say that anyone shopping for a new receiver should consider a G, even if it is a smaller one like the G5700 (at 'only' 75 wpc). The last 57 to sell on ebay fetched $140 shipped- a freaking steal.
 
Back
Top Bottom