• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui headshell for SR-929 -?

Arkay

Lunatic Member
I read here recently that the SR-929 had a specific headshell that allowed for azimuth adjustment.

The one I bought recently had a different headshell and cart mounted on it, but the guy said he had an original, which he will give me within the next day or two.

It's been a while since I saw a complete, original one and I don't remember exactly what the headshells looked like --assuming the ones I saw before even had the correct headshells still on them. I have a feeling he might just pass me a different/generic Sansui headshell, not the specific one that originally came with the TT. (I already have several ordinary headshells that say Sansui.)

How can I tell the difference? Does anyone have a close-up picture of the original SR-929 headshell, or can tell me the differences, so I can identify the correct one when I see it?

Whatever he gives me, I'll take, since I still paid a cheap enough price for this TT, but I'd like to find an original headshell, and to do that, need to know what I'm looking for.

Any help appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Well done Arkay. :thmbsp:
Despite which headshell you get,please post here with your impressions of the sound quality.
We are always interested in impressions of the TOTL units. :yes:
 
Arkay
There is a guy on the Sansui forum who just bought one. Perhaps you can ask him to send you a picture.
Laz
 
Hey Arkay,

I pulled this from ebay, I just searched for completed auctions. I would post a link but that would be the wrong forum. I think the screw in the second picture is the azimuth adjustment.

Bill
 

Attachments

  • headshell.jpg
    headshell.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 81
  • headshell2.jpg
    headshell2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 95
I pulled this from ebay, I just searched for completed auctions.

Yes, that's definitely the right headshell for the SR-929. It certainly looks like you can adjust the azimuth with that screw. There is often also an azimuth adjustment screw on many s-shaped tonearms, at the bottom, just behind the collar that locks the headshell to the tonearm. Whether or not the SR-929 also has that screw, I don't know.

It's also shown in a brochure for the turntable available in the vinylengine.com library - you'll need to register to download it, if you're not already. I would show the picture here, but unfortunately vinylengine put a block on editing their pdf files, so you can't extract pictures from them (for research purposes, of course:D) - grrrr!:dammit::uzi: I'm sure I could bypass their block with a good editor that ignores it, but it's not worth the effort of wasting my time, seeing you can download the brochure to see it.

-Don
 
That's the correct headshell. Loosen the screw under the collar to adjust azimuth. Don't forget to recheck azimuth after tightening the screw.
 
Thanks a lot, guys! That's exactly the kind of pics and info I was looking for. :thmbsp:

And Theo, I'll come back and post impressions of the TT, but I don't imagine it will come all that close to the sound of a GT-2000! :no: I got a decent deal on it (just over a hundred dollars), though, and it is pretty nice for what it is.

At first, it didn't look quite as "wet" as I thought it should, but a little work with the trusty Meguire's products has it gleaming with that deep, wet look again! I guess even a very thin film of dust and/or oxidation makes a difference. Using Plastix to restore the smoothness of the dust-cover, too, as it had some micro-scratches, and the whole thing is getting to look quite nice now.

That's two new turntables for me within a week (the other one is a JVC CD-4 table). Don't know where I'm going to put them! LOL
 
Hey Arkay,

I pulled this from ebay, I just searched for completed auctions. I would post a link but that would be the wrong forum. I think the screw in the second picture is the azimuth adjustment.

Bill

That's what is on mine and I have always assumed it was the right one. good to know.
 
Look at the 2nd pic. You can see the little bump at the front side edge of the shell just opposite of the finger lift and a little forward. That is the overhang mark that can be used if you don't have the separate gauge. It is mentioned in the SR-838 OM. The shell is the one on my 838.
 
You can see the little bump at the front side edge of the shell just opposite of the finger lift and a little forward. That is the overhang mark that can be used if you don't have the separate gauge. It is mentioned in the SR-838 OM. The shell is the one on my 838.

Gary,

My version has the little dot on the outside of the head shell.
December LP 007.JPG
 
Here's mine. It is also one piece molded finger lift, not riveted on like yours. No hole. 53mm from the outer gasket edge to the bump.

IMG_7806.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom