• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui QUAD receiver opinions/info needed

hokietiger

Active Member
In comparison, the Sansui QRX-6001 versus the QRX-7001, 8001, and 9001 models...What's the difference other than power output??..Is the QUAD mode output and quality the same ??

I've heard the 6001 is a great buy and very similar in QUAD mode output and quality to the high dollar 8001 and 9001 Sansui models, correct ...Differences???

Thanks for all help !!

Mike
 
Register to hide this ad
They all use basically the same QS, Matrix 4 channel boards 2 board set F-2087 and F-2088.
But the higher end use a different CD-4 setup, but CD-4 is one of the things that may not be used much due to limited cd4 media and cd4 phono carts.
The bad thing about them is that the 6001 and 7001 use the same Rectangular dark red transformer/capacitor module (LC01) for the multiplex circuit, that I have found bad in a number of 6001 and 7001 units. The issue results in no FM stereo. The part is not easily found.
 
Last edited:
Rectangular dark red transformer for the multiplex circuit, that I have found bad in a number of 6001 and 7001 units. The issue results in no FM stereo. The part is not easily found.
Yeah I have found that too....

The QRX9001 and 8001 have superior QS and SQ decoders, much better separation, vario martix is better...
The 8001/9001 uses the same driver board as the 8080/9090DB Sansui's, in my opinion the 8001 and 9001 are the best quad receivers ever made.....
 
They all use basically the same QS, Matrix 4 channel boards 2 board se
They all use basically the same QS, Matrix 4 channel boards 2 board set F-2087 and F-2088.
But the higher end use a different CD-4 setup, but CD-4 is one of the things that may not be used much due to limited cd4 media and cd4 phono carts.
The bad thing about them is that the 6001 and 7001 use the same Rectangular dark red transformer/capacitor module (LC01) for the multiplex circuit, that I have found bad in a number of 6001 and 7001 units. The issue results in no FM stereo. The part is not easily found.
.....Thanks !!....I paid 251.00 for a supposed fully functional 6001...I hope it was a good price
t F-2087 and F-2088.
But the higher end use a different CD-4 setup, but CD-4 is one of the things that may not be used much due to limited cd4 media and cd4 phono carts.
The bad thing about them is that the 6001 and 7001 use the same Rectangular dark red transformer/capacitor module (LC01) for the multiplex circuit, that I have found bad in a number of 6001 and 7001 units. The issue results in no FM stereo. The part is not easily found.
They all use basically the same QS, Matrix 4 channel boards 2 board set F-2087 and F-2088.
But the higher end use a different CD-4 setup, but CD-4 is one of the things that may not be used much due to limited cd4 media and cd4 phono carts.
The bad thing about them is that the 6001 and 7001 use the same Rectangular dark red transformer/capacitor module (LC01) for the multiplex circuit, that I have found bad in a number of 6001 and 7001 units. The issue results in no FM stereo. The part is not easily found.
I just bought a supposed "fully" functional 6001 for $251 (shipping included)...I hope the price paid is worth it !!!....Thanks for the replies !!!
 
I just bought a supposed "fully" functional 6001 for $251 (shipping included)...I hope the price paid is worth it !!!....Thanks for the replies !!!

Hi! I just read this thread and wanted to chime in as I recently got a Qrx 6001. I had it serviced for 2 lights and some deoxit... everything else is factory original and according to the technician, it had very little use and is still good for quite some time.

...And it sounds AMAZING!

Are you as happy with yours as I am with mine??
 
The 6001 & 7001 don't have the Dolby Board. I like their looks also.
That's right, no Dolby board which doesn't really matter to me. And has the awesome 2/4 channel light indicators!


I have a 8080db also, but the 6001 makes much nicer music to me. Maybe it needs a large area to open up and shine, but I prefer the 6001. Plenty of power for my bedroom.


From what I've read and seen on Youtube, it seems the "smaller" Sansuis make the better sound. Anybody care to comment?
 
That's right, no Dolby board which doesn't really matter to me. And has the awesome 2/4 channel light indicators!


I have a 8080db also, but the 6001 makes much nicer music to me. Maybe it needs a large area to open up and shine, but I prefer the 6001. Plenty of power for my bedroom.


From what I've read and seen on Youtube, it seems the "smaller" Sansuis make the better sound. Anybody care to comment?

Not sure what we can term small in the Sansui Line. I might say the Sansui Seven is a "small" Receiver, but in its day, it was a quite outstanding, exceptional Receiver IMO.

The large array of hook-up options on the rear was very well done I felt.

I have a mint QRX-7001, absolutely spotless cosmetically, and with original Box-Manuals. And have everything both upline and downline to make it properly strut its stuff, 2 TEAC Quad R2R decks (3340S and A2340R), plenty of the right AT Cartridges (AT15Sa and AT20SLa), and four mint JBL L-65 Jubal Speakers.

Plenty of media that I always kept, quad R2R Tapes, and LPs, both SQ, and CD-4.

I ran full quad and 2+2 for many years, I'll say from 1974, till about 1993. After the Receiver gauntlet I went though with both Sansui-Marantz, it was onto two Mac MC-2105 Amps, and a Bose 4401 quad PreAmp.
 
One gripe I had with many of the quad Sansui's, and most others like it of the day, was no features of having pre-mains in and out.

I might imagine a savvy experienced tech could do such? I've heard of such done on the QRX-9001. Why not then on some of the other models?

One could then turn these lower wattage beauties into some real high wattage beasts. Even on the relative cheap with a pair of Crown-QSC Stereo Amps. Questions might be, how much power does one need? Efficient speakers don't require too much juice.
 
Last edited:
Not sure what we can term small in the Sansui Line. I might say the Sansui Seven is a "small" Receiver, but in its day, it was a quite outstanding, exceptional Receiver IMO.

The large array of hook-up options on the rear was very well done I felt.

I have a mint QRX-7001, absolutely spotless cosmetically, and with original Box-Manuals. And have everything both upline and downline to make it properly strut its stuff, 2 TEAC Quad R2R decks (3340S and A2340R), plenty of the right AT Cartridges (AT15Sa and AT20SLa), and four mint JBL L-65 Jubal Speakers.

Plenty of media that I always kept, quad R2R Tapes, and LPs, both SQ, and CD-4.

I ran full quad and 2+2 for many years, I'll say from 1974, till about 1993. After the Receiver gauntlet I went though with both Sansui-Marantz, it was onto two Mac MC-2105 Amps, and a Bose 4401 quad PreAmp.


Cool gear! Did it feel expensive when you got it back then? That was a pretty penny in those days.

I just have that 6001 hooked up to a couple Boston Acoustics in line with some Fisher STV towers. Use a Dual w/vintage Grado for phono, and a Tecnics quad 8track player/recorder. I use the tuner quite a bit tho.

Oh, by 'smaller' I meant lower wpc. 25wpc on my 6001 vs 85wpc on the 9001. Do they sound identical side by side lower volumes? My 6001 has all original everything and sounds a certain way. It's distinct to my 8080db which is also all og. Honestly, i don't need the power, and it doesn't sound as good. So i wonder about the 9001's sound.
 
Your 8080db might need some resto work done, if it's OG

I expected that, as well. Took it to a very experienced Sansui tech, checked it all out, cleaned and tested, told me it clearly had very little use and was in exceptional condition, no leaking caps, showed me the clear signals on all stages on the oscilloscope, and said it sounded just like every other 8080 he'd worked on.

I am familiar with the Qrx-x001 and G-x700 line's sound. Their sound signatures are similar, especially the lower wpc ones. I figured the 8080 would sound similar to either of those lines, just more power. It doesn't.


To clarify my original question:

Has anybody compared a higher wpc model of a line with a lower wpc unit of the same line (i.e. qrx 9001 vs 5001; G-9700 vs G-4700; etc) BUT at lower volumes?

Why lower volume? To fill a small bedroom, not a large living room or whole house.

The logical conclusion would be that besides WHERE the volume dial was set, they'd sound exactly the same.
Is this true? Anyone? Anyone??
 
One gripe I had with many of the quad Sansui's, and most others like it of the day, was no features of having pre-mains in and out.

I might imagine a savvy experienced tech could do such? I've heard of such done on the QRX-9001. Why not then on some of the other models?

One could then turn these lower wattage beauties into some real high wattage beasts. Even on the relative cheap with a pair of Crown-QSC Stereo Amps. Questions might be, how much power does one need? Efficient speakers don't require too much juice.

Curious pre main connections were not included. They would in fact be easy to add the way the boards are laid out like a block diagram.
 
Back
Top Bottom