• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui SIX - massive distortion both channels

stereofun

Super Member
Got this aboslutely pristine Sansui SIX - But there is major distortion in both channels. Have tried various inputs aux, tape, swapped speaker terminals, tried the tuner....it is all distorted, no difference L/R.

With headphones it sounds reasonable, if not normal.

Anything else I should try before declaring this dead on arrival and return ?

Thanks for input!!! - Such a shame as the unit is pristine inside and out.
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know if this applies, but a Sansui EIGHT has 2 fuses per channel. If only one blows in either channel it still makes sound, but it is very distorted.

Imagine my surprise and delight when a fuse fixed my terribly distorted channel. I had to remove the bottom panel to access the fuses mentioned.

Worth checking out........

Scott T.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Scott !!!!!!

Darn it - the amp has 2 fuses for each channels just like you said. What really tricked me was that both channels had one fuse out and the other working!!!

...strange combo, leaving both channels "working", but with distortion!!

One happy camper here, as the sound is as beatiful as the unit - Sonics almost as good as my restored Eight.

Thanks for the tip!!!! Tom


QUOTE=scottrt;4777399]I don't know if this applies, but a Sansui EIGHT has 2 fuses per channel. If only one blows in either channel it still makes sound, but it is very distorted.

Imagine my surprise and delight when a fuse fixed my terribly distorted channel. I had to remove the bottom panel to access the fuses mentioned.

Worth checking out........

Scott T.[/QUOTE]
 
Congrats on that resurrection, guys! I had a very sweet-sounding 'Six' for a couple of years, in Toronto. I had 'zero' listening-fatigue from it, unlike some items costing 10 or 20 times more! I paid $25.00 Canadian for it from a junk/antique shop. And, talk about tough - it was standing on one end, acting as a support-pillar for other items - and covered in dust. The shop owner let me take it home first for a week - as he did not know if all features were working. All I ever did to it was give it a good dusting-off! I regret not having taken a better photograph, when I had it; but herewith a pic of the little beauty [in terms of sound anyway! :)].
Cheers, Dave :thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • Sansui 6.jpg
    Sansui 6.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Yes an amazing little amp. Really impressed with the power of 2x29 watt.

I cannot believe how loud and clean it can punch. A/B'ed it with my recapped/updated Eight and boy it comes way closer in performance than it should on top it is in pristine condition - $75 on ebay.
 

Attachments

  • six.jpg
    six.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom