• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui Six restoration kit worth it?

tighev

New Member
I recently had a Sansui Six passed down to me that I’m looking to restore. Is a restoration kit like this one (https://ebay.to/3BdAKii) trustworthy/worth looking at? I have no experience with vintage audio so I’m looking forward to hearing what others think.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm not a fan of the kits. Rather spendy. Has the unit been powered up or sitting for a long period? AK digital docs has the service manual and schematic for the Six.
?
 
It’s been sitting for a long time. I attempted to power it up, but it kept blowing different combinations of the group of 4 fuses on the back. Since I’m new, I really don’t know where to start trying to fix it.
 
I'd say that's very pricey. I replaced all the e-caps and some transistors in my Eight with Nichicon gold, and the parts cost lest than half the price of that kit. I'd see if AK member @EastPoint has a kit for the Six.
 
The Six is a sweet machine. I would tread lightly and not attempt to power unless on a DBT. Did you check to make sure the voltage is set to 117v? The voltage selector is under the name plate on the back panel.

EDIT: 117v if you are in the U.S.
 
If you've never really serviced any electronics, I would not start with a Sansui Six. Odds are high you'll make a mistake somewhere that will lead to other (probably bigger) problems, and fully working, the Six is too nice and valuable of a receiver to potentially "mess up" while learning. Believe me, my first couple of repair projects did not go well because I was so inexperienced. If you don't plan to make servicing audio gear a hobby, I'd find a qualified technician to repair this one, at least to get it going so you can see if you like its sound.
 
Not a fan of the seller because of poor reputation either. But I also suggest, that the the unit is troubleshot, problem found and fixed, before any "restoration event" is attempted.
 
I'd find a qualified technician to repair this one, at least to get it going so you can see if you like its sound.

I’m starting to lean this way myself too. I downloaded the service manual, took a look at the schematics, and was a little overwhelmed. Does anyone have any particular tips for finding a good service center and/or know of a good one near Chicago?
 
That seller in particular has a very bad reputation here on AK. Complaints are consistent enough that I think there must be something to them. Avoid like the plague.
So, where to buy a reparation kit? Who is trustworthy? I need one for a receiver 771 and perhaps one for an AU-777d (I assume the same as 777a?)
 
So, where to buy a reparation kit? Who is trustworthy? I need one for a receiver 771 and perhaps one for an AU-777d (I assume the same as 777a?)
You make up your own by buying from a reputable seller. Mouser and Digikey are popular, but there are many others.

The benefit of the kits is time. The kits have pre-selected components, so you don’t have to make your own list or select the caps. This saves several hours. BUT, making your own order familiarizes you with the layout of the unit, which saves time when installing and lowers the potential for errors. How much is your time worth?

The drawbacks are that the kits are that they are generic (there are changes during production and schematics can be wrong), sellers make mistakes, and some sellers are not customer focussed, resulting in tales of long shipping delays, missing parts, wrong parts, and general frustration.

If you want to buy a kit, use eBay. Look for a seller with great reviews. Be prepared to file a claim quickly if the stuff does not ship quickly or arrive in a reasonable time. Don’t give the seller any slack. You are paying for fast service and correct parts.

Finally, I don’t know the AU-777, it I would assume the a and d types are different.
 
Last edited:
The best kits I have seen come from peace luv music on ebay. They have the most parts, and the best instructions (that I have seen). They are not perfect kits, but the best I've seen from ebay. I'm not affiliated with that seller, but I have bought some parts and kits from them.
 
You make up your own by buying from a reputable seller. Mouser and Digikey are popular, but there are many others.

The benefit of the kits is time. The kits have pre-selected components, so you don’t have to make your own list or select the caps. This saves several hours. BUT, making your own order familiarizes you with the layout of the unit, which saves time when installing and lowers the potential for errors. How much is your time worth?

The drawbacks are that the kits are that they are generic (there are changes during production and schematics can be wrong), sellers make mistakes, and some sellers are not customer focussed, resulting in tales of long shipping delays, missing parts, wrong parts, and general frustration.

If you want to buy a kit, use eBay. Look for a seller with great reviews. Be prepared to file a claim quickly if the stuff does not ship quickly or arrive in a reasonable time. Don’t give the seller any slack. You are paying for fast service and correct parts.

Finally, I don’t know the AU-777, it I would assume the an and d types are different.
Thanks! It seems quite a lot to consider.
 
The best kits I have seen come from peace luv music on ebay. They have the most parts, and the best instructions (that I have seen). They are not perfect kits, but the best I've seen from ebay. I'm not affiliated with that seller, but I have bought some parts and kits from them.
That sounds good - thank you for your help! :)
 
Just wanted to add that the AU-777D is a Japanese market version of the 777A, which was sold internationally. The 777D will be 100V AC input only, and so will require a stepdown transformer to use at any other voltage (120, 220, 240V). I can't say with certainly that there might not be other minor circuit differences between the two, though they are largely similar.
 
Just wanted to add that the AU-777D is a Japanese market version of the 777A, which was sold internationally. The 777D will be 100V AC input only, and so will require a stepdown transformer to use at any other voltage (120, 220, 240V). I can't say with certainly that there might not be other minor circuit differences between the two, though they are largely similar.
On AK, I don't remember who and where exactly, but someone has stated that he checked the schematics of 777A with his 777D unit and spotted a lot of differences. He counted about 30 or so and stopped the search, as I remember.
 
On AK, I don't remember who and where exactly, but someone has stated that he checked the schematics of 777A with his 777D unit and spotted a lot of differences. He counted about 30 or so and stopped the search, as I remember.
Might that have been a comparison between the 777 and 777A? Those two have many differences, and I found I could not follow 777A restoration threads when restoring my 777.
 
The 777 and 777A are very different. As far as I know the 777A and 777D are the same. I went through a lot of effort to put together kits for the 777 and 777A/D and was annoyed that the 777 and 777A were so different. Sometimes you get lucky, like the Marantz 2245 and 2270, which are virtually identical.
 
Back
Top Bottom