• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sansui sp 1500 vs klipsch rb 35

Tyguy1

New Member
Hi everyone. I’ve been watching here for a long time and I’ve finally become a member. I’m fairly new to all of this and my first pair of speakers are sansui sp 1500s. Their high sensitivity has really worked well with my low wattage amp. But I feel it’s time to move on. I have a chance to trade them for a set of klipsch rb 35s. Should I? It’s going to be hard to go from the nice cabinets to regular looking speakers. Would I be trading up. Any opinions welcome.
 
Register to hide this ad
Two completely different speakers. While both are bookshelf speakers, one is smaller than the other. It depends on what you're after. I would keep the Sansui and no, I am not a fan of either speakers.
 
Sansui 1500's are bulletproof and do best with clean hi power amps 150 per channel is a start. Take off the covers , get them off the floor 12 inches , is a start.
 
I would do that trade. A nice two way has a coherency you will never get from those Sansui's. More accurate sound, way better imaging, more balanced sound.
 
The only hitch is going from a 12" woofer to a 6" but the RB's are a clear step up in sound quality.

But... a large majority of those Japanese speakers from that time and design had very weak bass.

As far as I can tell the Sansui's drop like a rock after about 50hz, actually start dropping before that. The RB's are rated to 45hz... so, the RB's might actually go lower. I would not be surprised by that. They will also sound lower due to not fighting the shouty mid those Sansui's have.
 
Last edited:
Sansui 1500's are bulletproof and do best with clean hi power amps 150 per channel is a start. Take off the covers , get them off the floor 12 inches , is a start.
Well, I’m not anywhere near 150. Currently at 8 (Nikko sta 2020) and have 30 (sansui au 217) currently on its way. They have the covers on and are on the floor. I’ll probably make some of those changes and see how it goes and reevaluate from there. Thanks for the suggestions.
 
Back
Top Bottom