• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui SP-20000 speakers (see pics)

SpeedSmith

New Member
I just bought these at an estate sale in Ohio.
:jump:

Quality-wise looks excellent to me. Loaded with cast aluminum. Nice grills. Just all around good quality and workmanship. Very heavy! 73.4lbs each with grill and stand!

The pictures are of the left speaker:rockon:

I'm going to be doing some research. Things I'll be looking for.......
How RARE are these suckers?o_O
How many were produced?
Were they all manufactured in Japan?
Is it true that were export only? Rumor or True?
How many are known to remain in the US?
:yikes:
How is It determined if they need re-capped?
Can I damage the mid/high drivers if I don't re-cap?
Has anyone RE-CAPPED this mod. ? if so, would you like to share info, type of caps, photos, choices you made in parts, anything.
 

Attachments

  • 20201029_135128.jpg
    20201029_135128.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20201029_135547.jpg
    20201029_135547.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 20201029_135601.jpg
    20201029_135601.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20201029_135606.jpg
    20201029_135606.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 110
  • 20201029_135613.jpg
    20201029_135613.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 20201029_135627.jpg
    20201029_135627.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 20201029_135634.jpg
    20201029_135634.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 20201029_131044.jpg
    20201029_131044.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20201029_130940.jpg
    20201029_130940.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20201029_141912.jpg
    20201029_141912.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Your speakers are 20000 (twenty thousand) based on the manuals and input plate not 2000 (two thousand).
Maybe try searching for the correct model number?

Doh, once I again I hit respond before reading the entire thread first.
D nailed it.
 
Last edited:
Any question or wonder of value needs to be addressed in the D&S subforum here at AK

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/audiokarma-rules.301366/



Nothing rare about them you have SP-20000, as noted in several of the pics you posted, not SP-2000, they're 2 different models.

As to the serial #'s I'm not sure what it is you're trying to convey, what is it you're trying to reference?

View attachment 2020666

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sansui-SP-20000.html

OK sorry I'm new here!

Oooh no! I guess I can't read! 20,000 not 2000. That explains things! I'm trying to edit the name of the Thread. Not having luck yet
 
OK sorry I'm new here!

Oooh no! I guess I can't read! 20,000 not 2000. That explains things! I'm trying to edit the name of the Thread. Not having luck yet

If you hit the "report" button you can send a request to a moderator and they shall be able to edit the thread title.

As for your initial post you can edit that yourself by hitting the "edit" button in the bottom left corner.

As to rarity I reread my initial post and while the SP-2000 aren't rare I made it sound like the SP-20000 wasn't either which wasn't my intention.
 
If you hit the "report" button you can send a request to a moderator and they shall be able to edit the thread title.

As for your initial post you can edit that yourself by hitting the "edit" button in the bottom left corner.

As to rarity I reread my initial post and while the SP-2000 aren't rare I made it sound like the SP-20000 wasn't either which wasn't my intention.

Thanks for the help! I sent a message in report and maybe they will fix it. Now I can do some research for the 20000.
 
OK sorry I'm new here!

Oooh no! I guess I can't read! 20,000 not 2000. That explains things! I'm trying to edit the name of the Thread. Not having luck yet

Edited for you. Welcome to AK!
Regards,
Jim
 
Well how do they sound? what are you amplifying them with?
I have them hooked up to a NAD 3225PE
And a stereo tuner so far. I like them so far. Hard hitting bass. I have to try a record or CD yet. The crossovers need Deoxit.
 
Last edited:
So far I've only crank it up about halfway. Not sure how far I should go if the caps are original, possible to cause damage to the tweets?
 
Last edited:
I just bought these at an estate sale in Ohio.

Quality-wise looks excellent to me. Loaded with cast aluminum. Nice grills. Just all around good quality and workmanship. Very heavy! 73.4lbs each with grill and stand!

The pictures are of the left speaker
I entered the ser#'s for each one of the 2 speakers that I have in the 2017 Sansui Serial Number Database
I did not see any other SP-20000's in there!
 
I was almost the auction winner of a pair of those horn mids; IIRC they are like a giant JBL 075.
I need a 3000 G horn for Altec 890B Bolero. When they come up for sale on eBay, They are as much as a whole set of speakers. Doesn't make sense for me to buy them.
 
They are a freak build level like few others for 1973!! Simply on another plane. Crazy that Sansui built them. No compromise ridiculous quality parts and thick high tech cabinets. I have two pairs one with their stands. I've had 100's of speakers and these are end of the road for myself just always amazing. This on a marantz 500 and don allen hand made tube preamp..end of story.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom