• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui SP-5500 not SP-5500x ?

bowtieman427

Active Member
It has been a little while since I posted, but I just got a set of 4 Sansui SP-5500 speakers not SP-5500x like I thought. I have a G-7500 that is set up with old Klipshe G-4s that sound pretty good in my sons bedroom. He is 13 and loves playing with it and when I heard about these and that they just want to get rid of them and come get them. I figured they might be a good match up for the G-7500 in his room. Looking at them the say SP-5500 I was like ok I will get them same vintage and I am thinking SP-5500x and figured they are decent. I have a SX-1050 drive a set of old Klipche LaScalas and to me sounds real nice. We hooked up 2 of the SP-5500 to the G-7500 and we were blown away how well they sounded. I was going to put the other 2 in the garage but I do not think I will do that now. They sound so nice. I can not believe how good these speakers sound. I never knew Sansui made such a great sounding speaker. What is the deal on these ? I do not get out much or hear a lot of different speakers but these are right up there with some of the best I have heard. They look different then the SP-5500x when we took the latice off.
Other Sansui SP speakers sound this good ??

The guy got them in Australia in the 70s while in the Navy. He wanted them gone to make space and get rid of stuff. They were berried under a lot of books and stuff on the shelf in a garage where the have rested for many many years. The are a little beat up, but who is complaining the sound more then makes up there apperance. I figured I would to rebuild and refresh the insides etc. Boy was I in for an awakening.

Please share any thoughts or details on these speakers most what I see are on SP-5500x, but these are SP-5500 are these a step down from the SP-5500x. If the SP-5500 sound so good how are other Sansui speakers ?? This is my first set of Sansui speakers ever.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello....a picture would help. The SP5500's I have are big and heavy..105lbs each. Big 15" horn....and have 1" cabinet sides and back with it's own toe kick.
If you got four of those....you did well my friend...:) A pair just sold on the bay for $1300. Never sold in US. A fantastic speaker.
 
Yes the SP-5500 are Sansui's TOTL speaker in that series and are nothing like the comon SP-5500x. These are huge and quite rare do to the size most service men didn't bring them back from over seas.

I can't belive you just got 4 for nothing!!

The 5500s have the same design as the SP-3500 which are comon and were very popular. The 5500s differ drasticly in size of the cabinet and being much deeper, also built out of one inch thich partical board.

I have a pair of SP-5000 which were the predecessor to the SP-5500 and even more rare. My speakers are 100w 6 way 102db and will make a small amp sound like a 600w system, yours are very close to these specs like 125w.
 
Those 5500s are as rare as hens teeth. I have an acquaintance who happened to find a pair on CL clear over on the east coast/US. (He was just checking out his families local one knowing he was about to visit and there they were.) $300.00 US,loaded them up in his compact car (WTH) and back diagonally across the continental US they came!

To this day their visual impression ranks right up there with a G-33000! The beauty of the curved front Sansui lattice speaker tends to be appreciated mostly for cosmetics.....those need restored with a professional eye as they need to make no apologies for anything and are among "hallmark best of the best" for anything Sansui.

Congrats on finding a rarity that barely exists within any market.....they sure never made it over to the US in any volume. Compare them to nothing (because they are "above that" and too rare to even be an icon......yet).
 
OK update on these speakers. What is the issue with this forum. It is impossible for me to post photos like I use to. NEED Help. What I can say is these speakers are some of the best I have ever heard. Son cleaned up his Pioneer SX-1250 and hooked up to these playing for a few months now and have to say this is the best match up I have ever heard. WE are simply amazed how well these match up and how well and exact the sound is reproduced. These have to be the best hard rock speakers ever made. Match made in heaven Pioneer SX-1250 and Sanusi SP 5500. We compared to Heresy's, and there is no comparison. The LaScalas I consider great and these I hate to say it are better. Go figure true hard to find real diamonds in the rough.
They are extremely sharp an exact. WOW what a find. I am very very shocked these are NOT more popular or sought after. I understand now that they are rare and that must be the issue. These are the best Sansui Speakers I have ever heard and can say some the the best speakers I have ever heard especailly with the SX-1250 driving them.

The person that drove across the country for these must have knew how great and rare these are. Knowing how they sound and experiencing them, I would drive across the country for them also. If you ever have an opportunity to listen to these you will NOT be disappointed. I really can not tell you how great these are and my son and I consider ourselves extremely fortunate.
If I ever figure out how to post pics again on here I would love to share.
 
Crap, I had some of these as a teenager that I got for free. Wish I was into vintage audio back then before I gave them away to a friend. Damn.
 
Really nice pairing with the Pioneer for sure. The Klipsch would do better with tubes.
 
Back
Top Bottom