• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui SP-X6700 floorstanders - general opinions please?

Curse

Old Uncle Thingy
Hello folks,

I'm new here, thought I'd take to lurking outside the shadows rather than within them :)

And so, a question for anyone interested: I recently acquired some Sansui SP-X6700 speakers - I'm actually most impressed with the overall sound and bearing of these... I know a lot of people don't have much love for Sansui's speakers, so I thought I'd cast the net and see what you knowledgeable folks thought!

Many cheers!

Dan
 
Register to hide this ad
Personally I've never been able to stand the SP-X line of speakers that Sansui made in the early mid 70's, all show and no go (in my opinion). There 2, 3 and 4 digit series from the late 60's on the other hand are much more coherent and honestly better (again my opinion), but the key is that you like them and that really all that matters.
 
Kabuki speakers.

It's objectively bad speaker design (sound-wise). But objectivity does not mean that you have to dislike the sound.
 
Personaly I won't buy them, I had few Sansui speakers and none of them impressed me but hey if you like the sound and they sound good for you, go for them. You are the one who will be listening to them.

By the way there are few videos on YouTube for those speakers
 
Thanks for the feedback folks, I've attached a picture i nicked off of this very site, since my camera is not of the best quality!
 

Attachments

  • 6700.jpg
    6700.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 203
Hello folks,

I'm new here, thought I'd take to lurking outside the shadows rather than within them :)

And so, a question for anyone interested: I recently acquired some Sansui SP-X6700 speakers - I'm actually most impressed with the overall sound and bearing of these... I know a lot of people don't have much love for Sansui's speakers, so I thought I'd cast the net and see what you knowledgeable folks thought!

Many cheers!

Dan


Dear Dan,

I have a pair of these also. Currently being driven by an Onyko TX-5000 60 watt receiver. Today I compared these to (for a friend's setup) Polk Monitor 10s, JBL L-50s, KLH model 6s, Cerwin Vega RE-30s, D5s, and Wharfedale W70Ds, and decided that these speakers sound as good as the RE-30s, and better than all the others llisted above. The bottom end is better than the Polks, and the mid range is smoother for sure, although the Polks will shoot higher. A lot of up down the stairs from the basement to the first floor library, but me thinks we have it now.

I first tried them about 2 years ago with a Sansui G4700 receiver and thought they sounded good then, but tossed the data to the back of the importance list, since at the time I was refurbing a pair of HPM1100s to go with a SX-1050. In a full basement, the little Sui's were good, but singing too hard to dominate the 'scene'. Up in the 12 x 12 library, they are winning.:smoke:
 
Hello,

Thanks for your reply :D

I'm still a little unsure with mine - they have a good sound overall, and I'm hearing a lot of things from my music -and with better definition- than other speakers I've owned. The main downside is that as I crank the volume, the highs seem to get very harsh. I'm running the amp(s) (Sansui AU-317 and 517) with the treble set to flat, and with a few notches on the bass end. Any more treble and it gets a bit grim (but not in a good way) ;-)

At low to moderate volume they sound grand. It may well just be the room I'm using, as it is wooden floors, long and thin, and high ceilinged.

Having said all this, it may just be that a re-cap is in order. I have some Wharfedale E.50's on the way (early this week I hope) and am hoping for good things from them :)

Cheers, and happy holidays!

Dan
 
Back
Top Bottom