• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui SP200 ?

y2keglide

Super Member
Hi guys,I have a chance to pick up a pair of Sansui SP200 speakers in primo condition,I think I can get'em for $50.
Thinking they might make a nice second set for my Marantz 2240 but not sure if they are worth $50 or if they will handle the 2240 ok.
I'm driving Klipsch KD4's as my A speakers so the SP200's would probably be be running only with 4 speakers going at once.
Go easy on me,I'm new to all this audiophile stuff.:D
What say you all?
 
Register to hide this ad
They'll handle the 2240 ok. With the 2240 splitting the A&B signals equally you'll get the same output front and back power wise. IIRC the 200's are 92 or 93dB/1W/1M. Don't know the ratings for the klipsch's.

They will be a bit heavy in the bass dept. but a re-cap and adjusting the Lpad on the back will help.

I've got a rule I never break. If you go 4 spkrs make sure all 4 are 8oHm or HIGHER!. ALL MINIMUM 8oHm or NO RUN!

Larry
 
They'll handle the 2240 ok. With the 2240 splitting the A&B signals equally you'll get the same output front and back power wise. IIRC the 200's are 92 or 93dB/1W/1M. Don't know the ratings for the klipsch's.

They will be a bit heavy in the bass dept. but a re-cap and adjusting the Lpad on the back will help.

I've got a rule I never break. If you go 4 spkrs make sure all 4 are 8oHm or HIGHER!. ALL MINIMUM 8oHm or NO RUN!

Larry

I kind of like heavy bass and the Klipsch have some pretty loud horns to off set it so I'm thinking they might work off each other pretty well.:scratch2:
Anyway...$50 sound good for a nice pair?

The KG4 Klipsch
Specifications
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 38Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
POWER HANDLING 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY 94dB @ 1watt/1meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 6 ohms
TWEETER K-74-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic dome compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
WOOFER Two K-8-K 8" (20.32cm) Poly ICG cone active / KD-12 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone passive
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via passive radiator
DIMENSIONS 24.25" (61.6cm) x 15.75" (40cm) x 10.75" (27.3cm)
WEIGHT 40 lbs. (18.2kg)
FINISHES Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Finished Black
BUILT FROM 1985
BUILT UNTIL 1992
 
Last edited:
They should be ok together. The klipsch's will be a bit louder, but I think of the "B"s as filler anyway.

$50. is ok, a bit on the high end unless the cabs and the grills are VERY VERY GOOD!

Larry
 
$50. is ok, a bit on the high end unless the cabs and the grills are VERY VERY GOOD!

Larry

Haven't seen them in person yet but they look nice in the pics.
Asking $75,I emailed and asked if they'd take $50 and waiting to hear back.

Here's a nice pair of Sansui SP 200 Speakers. They sound great, really nice cabinets, all of the individual speakers are in excellent condition........$75.00
3k93o33ld5O75Rc5Sb9crdce7324798e3127f.jpg


3kd3m43p25V25O35P59cr9195a2255b8c1501.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chi
Pics look pretty good. although the First Pic, the RIGHT SPKR Grill may be slightly damaged, 1/3 way down, just to right of center. It could be the picture too, so take particular care in looking at the grills. The are unreplaceable(except with donor units).

My sister has 4 of them wired into a 50WPC JVC R-S7. It sounds really good, and she does some serious cranking on this set up. Especially during Christmas Holidays. I use mine as "A"s on my Sansui 2000A in my work room. It blows all the rest of my speakers away except the 2500's.

My SP2500's are rated at 98dB/w/1m. With the 200 next to the 2500, there is barely a difference, that I can only tell with a SPL Meter. So the 200 is at least 96-98dB/w/1m.

And the BIG thing is you won't need to refoam it. There is NO FOAM!!!!!!

4 small screws on the front take off the grill. 14-15 screws on the back. Be very careful removing the back as the wires aren't that long.

Larry
 
A distant friend of mine, who used to work for Sansui, loves the sound of SP-200s, they are his favorite. 'Primo condition', in perspective: $50-75 is the cost of a carton of cigarettes...for a pair of really nice Sansui speakers. Just check out the sound first. If they sound muddy new caps may be required or maybe only the 'L' pads need a shot of dioxit. Who knows?? If they sound good...it's a nice deal if the cabinets are 'Primo'. No marks on the top, no chips, no cracks, etc. If they don't sound perfect, pass on em.

Not sure of the speaker magnet type, but they may be Alnicos! The SP-2000s have alnicos, same era. Alnicos sound really nice! Good luck!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom