• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui Speaker ID Help Please

sorenmad

Member
these are on Vancouver Craigslist for trade. Im looking for a good rock speaker with decent highs and mids plus a dynamite midbass with no thunky cabinety sounds. Could these be the ticket? The ad has limited info (I am not sure if I can link to it in this forum so I will just quote a bit of the ad:

They stand about 3' tall and have a 12" woofer. Weigh about 80 lbs... but are on casters.
Thanks in Advance for any help

50816_sansui_122_419lo_122_419lo.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
They were originally designed as a JBL clone - 1-12 in. woofer with a 12 in. passive radiator. As they were built by Sansui, they had a horn with a dispersion lens a la JBL for the mids and highs. The fellow that owns these told me that the person he bought these from changed the horn out with the two speakers you see above the woofer. The tweeter is now a horn and the mid is a type of dome.

Why he decided to alter the original design, I don't know. I lost interest after hearing about the changes. I know one thing, they won't be cheap. He claims they cost $1800 new. If you have some quality speakers to trade, he may go for it. He was interested in my Angstroms. To me it didn't look like a good trade. They may sound great, but I like speakers the way they came from the manufacturer. Note the L-Pads. They look like Realistic l-pads to me. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but not original.
 
One more thing. If you want to see how the original speaker looked, google "Best of Sansui." The model number is SP L-800.
 
Thanks for the replys guys :thmbsp:

I may check them out if he is willing to let me audition. Thanks for the link sealy, It seems that the mods may be pretty extensive - the cabinets look taller and narrower than SPL 800's - so it may be pretty much a homemade speaker with SPl-800 woofers and radiators?



50816_sansui_122_419lo_122_419lo.jpg
17302_SPL800_1_122_597lo_122_597lo.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom