Sansui SR-717 cartridge advice/ lateral balancer
Hi,
I also own a Sansui SR-717 in very good condition. At present I use an Ortofon VinylMaster Red cart with an Ortofon headshell on it. I think that you also can use MC carts such as Denon DL 110/160 or DL 103 (R) (they have low compliances) with this TT. I got my Sansui from ebay too (I believe 2 years ago). Unfortunately I'm missing the lateral weight (on the left side of the tonearm). I intend to make my own lateral weight but I don't know the exact weight, up till now nobody could provide me this value. Could you please provide me the exact weight in grams. I have the original service manual from Sansui here, I can send it to you as pdf-file if I have your Email-address.
Ernie
Hi
Thanks to both of you for your helpfull answers. I'm sorry for this late reply.
I have been trying out severall cartridges lately which I have lent from a collector.
The ones I've are follows:
Grace F9 e (used but working stylus)
Shure V-15 mk IV (NOS cart with JICO stylus)
Technics EPC P100 mk IV (NOS)
Technics EPC 300 MC (moving coil, used good condition)
Denon 103 (moving coil, new)
The ones that worked best where the Denon 103 together with the Technics P100. Great sound !
I havent been able to try out any ortofon or AT yet.
Using the 103, I needed to ad extra weight to the arm weight.
The extra sub-weight is missing. Anyone got the measurements for that one ? and, I'm sorry to inform, that also my lateral weight is missing.
However I have done some research on the net. There are presently no data on the Sansui balancer weight. But I think I have some interesting info. If you google on Pioneer PL-570, you will see on pictures that the Pioneer lateral weight looks quite similar to the Sansui weight. I've managed
to dig up exact weight and measurements on the Pioneer lateral weight.
16.8 grams. I then made a "testing weight" gluing some coins together that weighted around 17 grams. After installing this weight, I moved the arm a little back and forth in the knife bearings they then felt very balanced having the "testweight" in a mid position on the bar. To me, this little experiment tells me that the original Sansui lateral weight might either be similar or very close to the Pioneer weight. I've also read that the weight does not need to be absolute correct. I'm planning to have a watchmaker make such a weight for me now. Anyone want the measurements I found on the net ?
Ernie, If you could e-mail me the PDF-manual, that would be great !:thmbsp:
/Ed