• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui technics or nad ?

Digiverse

Active Member
Hi to you all, I'm new here I live in central Vic Australia and I love all things analogue and I'am just starting to put together a vinyl playback system so far I have a Technics SL 1400 TT and I'am currently deciding to either go with a Sansui AU 417 amp with matching tuner Technics SU 7700 or a NAD Model 60 which I'am asking you guys which of these amps is the way to go ? In regards to the Sansui AU 417 does it suffer from the glue issue that I have read about on said forums and how bad is it ? Oh, I also have off grid solar power system for house no grid out here so power consumption is an issue as well. Thanks. Groovetube
 
Register to hide this ad
Power consumption will depend on how loud you will run the amp. None of these is class A or a power plant, so they will not suck much power at low volume. The Technics might have higher consumption than others, the NAD will probably have the lowest consumption.

If the price on all these is the same or similar, go with NAD Model 60. It is a very good early NAD amp, assembled to NAD specs by Foster Electric I think). It is also very rare and holds its value. The one I had actually doubled its value in 2 or 3 years. And it is one of few NADs that look really good. It might need more servicing then the Sansui - it is about 5-7 years older and uses transistors that tend to go bad. Mine had a bad transistor in the phono section and produced all kinds of noises. Replacements are available and dirt cheap though.
Don't expect the NAD "house sound"/"British sound", this amp looks and sounds like a Japanese amp, because it is one.

If Sansui is much cheaper, you can consider it. It might actually sound a bit better (cleaner) than NAD, depending on NAD's condition, and it has more power (almost 2x more), but will have a problem with some speakers (will sometimes go into protection on 4 ohm speakers). NAD will not. Also, it does not look as good as the NAD and it is not a collector item.

Forget the Technics. Not a bad looking amp, and not bad for Technics, but can't compete with the other two.

Cheers,

Raf
 
Personally I'd definitely go for the classic Technics SU-7700.
It'll be a great match for the Technics SL-1400 TT from around the same time period.
I still own a SU-7700,it was my main amp for many a year.It's phono stage is way above average,therefore sounds better than the AU-417's in my opinion.

The SU-7700 tends to punch far above it's weight in all categories.
I've never heard a NAD Model 60,but it'd have to be real great to beat the Technics SU-7700,especially when paired with a Technics SL-1400 TT.

The Sansui AU-417 does indeed suffer from over used glue around it caps,but is still a great sounding amp.
 
Hi Guys, Thanks for your replies and valuable insights, well the Nad is gone and the auction for the sansui was ended by the seller with no bids after a week with matching tuner tu 417 for a starting price of $180. Aus The Nad was $50. with gumtree and the technics su 7700 is still in the running and so far is obviously a clear favourite thus far what other technics amps would suit the bill ? Thanks. Groovetube.
 
Hi Groovetube

I am in Melbourne and follow both Ebay and to a lesser extent Gumtree everyday. I was going to suggest not to be in a rush, there is always something to be had. The Technics and Sansui items were both on my ebay watch list - I have a 417 but I like to keep an eye on what products sell for/how much. If you are interested you are welcome to 'private message' me and I will give you my number and email as I would be very happy to assist you in your search.

Nice TT by the way.

Regards

Rob
 
Last edited:
Personally I'd definitely go for the classic Technics SU-7700.
It'll be a great match for the Technics SL-1400 TT from around the same time period.
I still own a SU-7700,it was my main amp for many a year.It's phono stage is way above average,therefore sounds better than the AU-417's in my opinion.

The SU-7700 tends to punch far above it's weight in all categories.
I've never heard a NAD Model 60,but it'd have to be real great to beat the Technics SU-7700,especially when paired with a Technics SL-1400 TT.

The Sansui AU-417 does indeed suffer from over used glue around it caps,but is still a great sounding amp.

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

I haven't heard the other amps, so give I can't offer a personal comparison, but I will tell you the SU-7700 is a workhorse. Mine's never missed a beat since 1977, and if you search the threads here, you'll find others say the same.
 
Some other Technics amps that sound excellent and feature great phono stages that aren't too pricey would include:
SU-8077
SU-8080 (although would cost a little more)
SU-V65A/SU-V55A/SU-45A,these 3 are from the late 80's,but all feature unbelievably good MC/MM phono stages for their going prices.
 
:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

I haven't heard the other amps, so give I can't offer a personal comparison, but I will tell you the SU-7700 is a workhorse. Mine's never missed a beat since 1977, and if you search the threads here, you'll find others say the same.

Yep,it's indeed a great amp :thmbsp:
 
I have that 7700 as well. Gorgeous machine. Really simple circuit-wise, but that's exactly what makes it reliable. You will definitely have to clean the switches and potentiometers, but I bet that is required too for the other(s).

Oh and what a beauty she is!


P.S.: Many people claim that it has more power than is stated. Truth is, I have measured it, and it delivers *exactly* 50W per channel at 8 Ohms. Did not test on 4 Ohm load, but I bet the specs are correct too there (2x70W). Power consumption is said to be 450W. At 1kHz sine under full load (50W@8Ohms), it needed about 215W at 220V supply voltage. So I guess the 450 Watts are for peaks.
 
Hi All, Thanks again for all the suggestions well I have placed a bid on the Technics SU 7700 I will let you all know how it goes and I will post some pretty pictures as well, again, out of curiosity, how does the Harman Kardon PM 650 rate ? Thanks. Groovetube.
 
Hi, I answered in your other thread - I'd get the H/K. Just to clarify, I have nothing against Technics, but I did listen to all these amps and think the others sound better.

Cheers,

Raf
 
Back
Top Bottom