• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sansui8080

Nearby Pro

Hi Kim. Sounds like you are game to try it yourself, but just for the record, you are very close to a well respected and experienced Sansui repair guy (he's in Flint). He goes by Punker X here, and you can check out his shop by clicking on the "Radio X" ad link on the bottom of the page. I haven't used his services (yet!) but you'll find lots of satisfied customers lurking here.
John
 
It Works Thanks To You All!

:banana: Hello everyone Changed number 33 and 34 resistors today and boy am I happy, powered it up and got sound the light went green everything works great now. So thanks to all of you for the help. If it wasnt for you guys I would have never got it going. KIM :banana:
 
sansui8080 said:
:banana: Hello everyone Changed number 33 and 34 resistors today and boy am I happy, powered it up and got sound the light went green everything works great now. So thanks to all of you for the help. If it wasnt for you guys I would have never got it going. KIM :banana:


For everyone out there that wants to know what happens to these recievers. The two 330UF caps on the driver board are old, after a receiver sits for sometime (year or two) they completely discharge and when the receiver is turned on they draw excessive current through fuse resistors R33 and R34 cause them to open. Of all the 7070/8080DB/9090DBs (they all use the same driver boards) that were in protection that I worked on (About 20 within the last 3 years) these resistors were the cause. When I work on one of these receivers I replace all the fuse resistors with Non-Inflammable Resistors (I also increase the wattage to 1/2 Watt from 1/4 Watt) and replaced all the Electrolytics. That solves the problem for the next 30 to 40 years.
 
Last edited:
the best of sansui

hi iwant know who is the best of sansui 771 or 881 or 8080 or 9090 or 8080db or9090db for suond and fm stereo please tel me because iwant buy one from this item
 
Hi ABSE, welcome to Audio Karma. That is quite a range of receivers. How much power do you need? My favorite is the 9090DB but you will pay a premium for a good one. I prefer the styling and amplifier design over the 771 or 881. It will also have a walnut cabinet.

If you don't need that much power, the 8080DB is a good choice. It is 90% of the performance of the 9090DB and only 60% of the price.

- Pete
 
I agree with Paul, the 8080DB is the most bang for the buck, the 9090DB is more powerful but you do pay a premium.
 
thank you so much pete i have speakers sony ssf 7000 pwer rated is 200 watts per chanel who is the best ricever for
 
Matching a receiver to speakers is a mater of personal preference. If you ask 10 people you may get 12 different opinions on what is "best".

I don't know those speakers but judging by their power rating they are designed for high power amps. The 771 and 881 may have to work hard to power them. Any of the other receivers you mentioned should work well.

- Pete
 
Welcome to AK.

hi iwant know who is the best of sansui 771 or 881 or 8080 or 9090 or 8080db or9090db for suond and fm stereo please tel me because iwant buy one from this item

My new friend, can I suggest you start your own thread to ask this question, it's considered bad form to hijack another persons thread.
Congrats to Kim for fixing that 8080. And great work to all that helped her!
Casey
 
How do I purchase the correct resistor on Digikey or mouser for r33 and r34 on the 8080db power board? i get lost on type of resistor? power? manufacturer? etc. Manual says 180 ohms and 1/4 watt for those two pieces. Are these available at radio shack? When you guys test the resistor do you unsolder the resistor and check it or do you check it on the board? I'm still getting 180 ohms on my multimeter reading for the resistors i pulled out, so must be something else perhaps. Sorry im a newb.
 
Last edited:
If they read 180 ohms then they are OK and not your problem. Any non Flammable resistor of 180 ohms 1/4 watt will work. You have other problems. You need to start a new thread and give specifics of your problem.
 
Sansui may have used these in others, but not to the extent seen in the 8080, and 9090 driver boards. Other manufactures used some as well. Sansui 8080 and 9090 are the only ones I saw that really change value. Most other fusable type resistors are either good, or open upon failure.
 
I don't think any Sansui receivers before the XOXO series had fuse resistors. The G series and integrated amps of that era used a few but they are not typically a problem except for the G22/33. The amps have a couple that tend to open and cause no sound output.

- Pete
 
Back
Top Bottom