• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Santana and Spearhead/Franti

diamondsouled

Recycle belly button lint!
Saw Carlos Santana and Michael Franti with Spearhead last night. An OK show. The sound was quite decent for it being a hockey rink. Bit disappointing but Franti didn't play any older material like Hole in the Bucket, guess when you're opening you're limited on repertoire. Little bit too much talking by both Franti and Carlos for my liking. I'm all for social consciousness and all but when I pay to hear music that's what I'm there for. If I wanted to pay to go to a motivational seminar and be lectured I'd do that. :D

Carlos can still rip a lick and had a very hot band. Franti's band was great as well, he pranced all over the hockey rink. Guy's full of energy.

Both my son and I agreed that the Arcade Fire show we saw in the same venue was far superior to the Carlos/Franti show.

Carlos went on about his and his band's integrity, it was all a bit weird, in my experience people with integrity don't have to talk about it.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm all for social consciousness and all but when I pay to hear music that's what I'm there for. If I wanted to pay to go to a motivational seminar and be lectured I'd do that.

Exactly

When Eddy Vedder started getting up on his little latter day hippie soapbox, that was it for me and Pearl Jam. Before that, they threw a pretty good show. Never will come the day that I will pay to be preached to by him, that smarmy, phony Bono, or any others of their ilk. I'd pay to avoid it, for that matter. Shut your pie hole and play, I say.
 
Exactly

When Eddy Vedder started getting up on his little latter day hippie soapbox, that was it for me and Pearl Jam. Before that, they threw a pretty good show. Never will come the day that I will pay to be preached to by him, that smarmy, phony Bono, or any others of their ilk. I'd pay to avoid it, for that matter. Shut your pie hole and play, I say.

He, he, have to agree. Kinda grates on a person to pay $100 plus to get told what you should think and do. :D If you have something to express do it though the music. Get's to a point where it seems that they are more interested in trying to sell you a spiel instead of moving you with their music. It's a big turn off IMHO.
 
I've actually gone to a lecture/film presentation by Franti. He's really a cool person.

I understand what you mean by stick to the music at a show. Ticket prices are insane. Thats why I work a lot of shows. ;)

I'm working the PJ 20 festival this sat and sun. I'll let you know if Vedder lectures.
 
Saw Franti several years ago and enjoyed his show much more than the recent one. He had more of an edge back then, he has turned quite popish in the intervening years. Still, a very talented guy who can put together great bands.

I do wonder though if his music has suffered for his activism. :scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom