• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sanyo Cassette Deck technical problem

reel547

New Member
Hello,

I acquired a sanyo rd 1400 cassette deck for $5.00. However, it will not play, rewind, nor fast forward a cassette tape. When you press the play button, it makes a grinding noise and starts to play and the LCD display right and left channel move for a split second, but it immediately stops playing the tape. The same thing happens if you press the rewind or fast forward button. I am thinking that this might be a belt problem? Thus, I am not able to play any tape, rewind nor fastforward. For the moment, it makes a good decoration!

Now, I know this isn't a high end deck, but I would like to see if I can fix it before tossing it out. Do you think that the belts are bad? It is from 1983.

Thanks much for any advice.
 
Register to hide this ad
I would pull off the cover plate, and have a look. Normally, at my repair facility, a 1983 cassette deck would receive a whole new set of belts.

Note: if the capstan belt is flat (which is usually the case) it is likely stretched out or turned to gummy goo. The replacement should have about 5% stretch from off to on the motor pulley, AND should be .020" thick. Many popular belts are .025" or thicker. They will NOT work properly -- your wow-and-flutter figure will deteriorate.

Best,

Fred Longworth
 
Back
Top Bottom