• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Scary Good: The Mitsubishi DA-P10

I was looking for one of these for a while to go with my Mitsubishi turntable. They really did make some quality stuff!
 
The da-p30 has a dual volume control instead of a balance.

Yes and it works just like a balance control. I have never found the DA-P30 to be lacking in bass whatsoever, just like any other preamp a lot depends on the setup, amp,speakers etc. The DA-P30 is an exception preamp. Well made,heavy and not skimping on quality of build or componants. The phone section is exceptional and has gold RCA contacts on phono inputs. And a cartridge capacitance switch on the front for 100pf and 330pf. A real sleeper.
 
Vinylhammer and Soundit: Thanks to you both. As I told Soundit elsewhere, I am embarrassed at failing to notice the dual volume controls. From an audiophile-purist standpoint, they are a better solution to the channel-balance issue than a dedicated balance control would have been. Indeed, this design choice simply underlines the accuracy of Soundit's assessment of the unit's build and component quality. All the more reason for me to be happy I bought one!
 
Picked up a DA-A10DC on the bay recently and trying to choose between an available P10 and P20 for the preamp. Same price within $5, but I'm leaning toward the P20 because the seller extensively tests and repairs (as needed) everything he sells and he's got a business dedicated to reselling vintage electronics. All things being equal, what's your choice between the two?
 
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

We need to keep these under the radar! Watch the epay prices bump up now. :nono:

Well since it's out there, yes they are great units and I'll not likely ever give mine up.

That said, I'm not a fan of the SPST push switches for tape source/record on the P20. I notice alot of bleed when there's a signal playing thru the tape input but listening to Phono etc. My guess is the toggles on the P10 may be better in this regard. The P20 has MC input though.
 
I'm not a fan of the SPST push switches for tape source/record on the P20. I notice a lot of bleed when there's a signal playing thru the tape input but listening to Phono etc. My guess is the toggles on the P10 may be better in this regard. The P20 has MC input though.

Your comment got me wondering about my P30, which has similar in-out switches. I found that, when a source is playing through Tape-1 or Tape-2 there is some audible bleed-through in the other tape input and in the AUX input; it becomes audible in all three inputs only as the dial approaches the 1 o'clock position, fortunately—louder than I could ever bear to listen. Nothing bleeds through into TUNER or PHONO, however; in the latter at least nothing that I can hear through the expected low background noise level in the MM setting (in MC silence is virtually complete, as you'd expect).

When a source is playing through AUX, bleed-through in TAPE-1 and TAPE-2 is there but just barely: nothing till the volume passes 4 o'clock. None at all, happily, bleeds through into TUNER or either PHONO. When a source is playing through TUNER, bleed-through is nonexistent everywhere.

My conclusion, for what it is worth, is that the switches have less to do with the problem—to the extent that it is a problem—than do other circuitry matters that I lack the competence to discuss or even raise. All I know is that I have heard very few pre-amps, integrated amps, or receivers that don't exhibit similar problems or—rather more frequently—worse ones. Indeed, my old AR X-10 receiver is the only one of its breed that I've ever heard where there is no bleed-through from the (alas, always on) tuner section into the line inputs. (I've heard tuner bleed-through from Luxmans thrice or quadruple its price!)

Ideally, I suppose, one should own enough pre-amps to be able to limit each to a single input source. Ah, to have such cash …
 
Back
Top Bottom