DrJOnes666
New Member
Ever since I've developed a hobby for turntables and vintage amps a couple years ago, I've run into the occasional posts on this forum about incredible low price scores on great systems, and every time I'm like "wow how lucky can a person be?"
It appears my luck was just around the corner too, so much so I thought I'd finally register to the forum to share my joy, and to ask a technical question.
It goes like this:
11h15 at night, about to go to sleep, and I check FB marketplace. A suggestion pops up for a turntable and amp combo that just got posted. Fuzzy picture, asking price $20, currently Pending. I'm thinking something must be wrong with the system, and I can't really tell what the model of the TT or the amp are, but from what I can make out I'm thinking it could be worth a gamble. I tap on MAKE OFFER and I write $25, thinking that will be the end of it anyways. As I put down my phone, I get a message: "can you come pick it up now?". Puzzled, I answer yes and make my way to the address 10min from my place.
Turns out this young lady is in the process of moving, last minute packing, and she wants to get rid of this old sound system that reminds her of her breakup. I pay and I leave without really knowing the value of the items I just scored.
I already own a Technics SL-D2 hooked up to a Pioneer SX-3600. I started researching my new acquisitions, the Fisher mt-6420 and the Nikko NR-890, and found out that it turns out I got pretty lucky for that price! I cleaned up the knobs, a little oil here and there, and everything is working great!
My initial tests sound pretty good so far!
Any suggestions regarding the stylus for the Fisher mt-6420? The one on it seems crooked, even though I have to say it still still sounds pretty good! I hooked up PSB Mkii40 speakers on the system and the remastered Abbey Road album sounds great!

It appears my luck was just around the corner too, so much so I thought I'd finally register to the forum to share my joy, and to ask a technical question.
It goes like this:
11h15 at night, about to go to sleep, and I check FB marketplace. A suggestion pops up for a turntable and amp combo that just got posted. Fuzzy picture, asking price $20, currently Pending. I'm thinking something must be wrong with the system, and I can't really tell what the model of the TT or the amp are, but from what I can make out I'm thinking it could be worth a gamble. I tap on MAKE OFFER and I write $25, thinking that will be the end of it anyways. As I put down my phone, I get a message: "can you come pick it up now?". Puzzled, I answer yes and make my way to the address 10min from my place.
Turns out this young lady is in the process of moving, last minute packing, and she wants to get rid of this old sound system that reminds her of her breakup. I pay and I leave without really knowing the value of the items I just scored.
I already own a Technics SL-D2 hooked up to a Pioneer SX-3600. I started researching my new acquisitions, the Fisher mt-6420 and the Nikko NR-890, and found out that it turns out I got pretty lucky for that price! I cleaned up the knobs, a little oil here and there, and everything is working great!
My initial tests sound pretty good so far!
Any suggestions regarding the stylus for the Fisher mt-6420? The one on it seems crooked, even though I have to say it still still sounds pretty good! I hooked up PSB Mkii40 speakers on the system and the remastered Abbey Road album sounds great!

Last edited: