• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Scott 299c 6u8 vs. 7199

While its logical to change OUT the 7199 now,
Given many peoples desire to have stock,
I can see a time in the future where many units having been converted to the 6u8 as a new sub for the 7199 get built, that a reverse conversion back to the 7199 will become popular.
The tide will shift eventually.
What that means for me today, nothibg really. Just an observation based on history. I mean, bell bottoms did it.
 
If you don'rt find any, send me your address and I'll mail you a couple pairs to try.
A friend of mine is a retired Bendix Corp. Guy who worked there 35 years. Along the way, he fixed tube gear on the side through the last 50/60 years. I bought his entire supply (sure he kept some back) of tubes and still have to sift through them all. Which is one reason i look to establishing a list of exact replacements for the 6u8 as well. So when i sift, i can watch for them. Ive began seperating power, rectifier, 4pin, Noval in groups ect and pulled what i recognize as i go. Having Mac and Scott gear, i looked at the tubes used and began to question that 7199 or its lack of clarity as far as not being written on my amp that i could see ect. Ect. So my purpose for all this is 2 fold i suppose. Ive really only dealt with this tube stuff the last couple years so am green. I have MC30, MC60, Couple of Scott tuners, the amp, Fisher preamp 400cx2 ect. Sold : the Mac c-22, VTL mb450, Dynaco st70, VTL st150 and the like.
Currently run Belle Klipsch (modified) mc30 pair, and Mac C-2200
 
Intriguing thought to roll some variants. I would like to do that, searching "6u8 tube equivalent " does show a bunch

My 222c comes with 6U8's. I sub them with Siemens E80CF. They both sound good but DO make the amp sound different.

Depends on how I want to hear it. Right now I'm preferring how the E80CF's give the amp a tighter more prominent bass. The GE 6U8's in the amp give more of a midrange driven sound. It's cool having this option in addition to rolling all the other tubes to change the flavor. I dig it.
 
My 222c comes with 6U8's. I sub them with Siemens E80CF. They both sound good but DO make the amp sound different.

Depends on how I want to hear it. Right now I'm preferring how the E80CF's give the amp a tighter more prominent bass. The GE 6U8's in the amp give more of a midrange driven sound. It's cool having this option in addition to rolling all the other tubes to change the flavor. I dig it.
Thats good to know, thank you. I will be compiling a list of your tube choice, and reference as to characteristics. Working on a master list of sorts for these varients all in one place. Anyone with experience with this E80cf or any other varient please consider a contribution to my list. Anyone sees a varient I've posted a screeenshot of that may likely damage the circutry, please let me know. Here or PM whichever is most desired form of contact. All i will keep all uner names out. Some info being subjective, is still helpful as if the list grown enough, subjective become relevant if its a majority concensus.
 
As for getting another Scott amplifier, my experience has been that the very early LK-48, LK-72 and some 299 (talking 299C) series were the only ones with the 7199, although I have not seen a 299C or 222 with the 7199 but it has been said that some had them. (Remember all of the variations within a particular model??) My early, brown faceplate LK-48 and LK-72 both have 7199 tubes. But other amplifiers have usually 6U8/6GH8 tubes specified. My first edition 299 has ECF80/6BL8 tubes. All are Medium-MU Triode / Sharp-Cutoff Pentodes. So, you may not even need to bother with the 7199.

I have dealt with this vendor for years and I am very happy. They have NOS 7199 tubes listed for $22.00. They answer the phone so you can check availability.

http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/vacuumtubes_tubelist_tubes_FM1000-9006.html
 
7687 was Sylvania's answer to RCA's 7199 - same characteristics but with the pinout matching the 6U8. Not very common though.

As
 
As for getting another Scott amplifier, my experience has been that the very early LK-48, LK-72 and some 299 (talking 299C) series were the only ones with the 7199, although I have not seen a 299C or 222 with the 7199 but it has been said that some had them. (Remember all of the variations within a particular model??) My early, brown faceplate LK-48 and LK-72 both have 7199 tubes. But other amplifiers have usually 6U8/6GH8 tubes specified. My first edition 299 has ECF80/6BL8 tubes. All are Medium-MU Triode / Sharp-Cutoff Pentodes. So, you may not even need to bother with the 7199.

I have dealt with this vendor for years and I am very happy. They have NOS 7199 tubes listed for $22.00. They answer the phone so you can check availability.

http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/vacuumtubes_tubelist_tubes_FM1000-9006.html
Nice, thank you for the source.
 
Sylvania had a number of special tubes in the late 50s through the 60s, odd stuff designed for audio that never really caught on. They were pretty cool spec-wise, but since its like shopping for unicorns it doesn't make a lot of sense to design something around them at this point in time.
 
Back
Top Bottom