• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Scott 350 vs heathkit AJ-41

Linx1

New Member
Could someone tell me how these two receivers (Scott 350 Heathkit AJ-41) when properly restored compare to each other? I’m primarily interested in fm reception and sound quality.
 
Register to hide this ad
First these two are tuners. A receiver has a amplifier that hook to a speaker. Not much experience with the Heathkit, but lots with the Scott's. A well deserved reputation and both sensitive and great sounding.
 
Thanks for correcting me for some reason I typed receiver. I was given a Scott 350 tuner in great shape that sounds surprisingly good. I also have a Heathkit AA-100 amplifier and started thinking it might be nice to have the matching tuner, but only if it sounds as good or better than the Scott’s
 
I have both.

When restored, dialed in and operating perfectly, they both sound amazingly good, and it is highly unlikely that you will ever find an FM broadcaster today that would even be worth listening to on these units. Bit of a shame, really :(

The Scott is totally stable and drift free, even from a cold start. All alignments, RF, IF & multiplex (with the proper equipment..) are easily performed and stay locked in.

The Heathkit, which I consider to be a gorgeous piece of equipment, is pretty much none of those things.
In addition, the PCB material is very prone to absorbing moisture if the unit is not used regularly, which causes performance issues, and you also have to be very careful not to damage the traces when working on it.
 
Thanks for your detailed answer. It is very true what you said about the Scott’s being stable and drift free. I noticed how stable this tuner is because I only really listen to 91.1 which is our Jazz station. It’s been approximately 2 months and I have not had to adjust my dial setting. The sound stage is also pretty amazing. I will continue to look for a Heathkit aj-41 to match my aa-100
 
I received my AA-100 and the AJ-41 as a matching set from an old friend who was retiring and moving across the country.
Initially, I wasn't sure what to make of the styling; it just didn't jibe with my idea of what "electronics" should look like, if you know what I mean. But, my love of 50's cars eventually won me over. It's like having a '57 DeSoto Adventurer in the room :)
 
It definitely has a distinct appearance that really grows on you. I guess that’s why I’m looking for the aj-41. Not like I really need another tuner
 
It definitely has a distinct appearance that really grows on you. I guess that’s why I’m looking for the aj-41. Not like I really need another tuner
Me either your not alone.
Myself I'm a bit backwards Let me explain.When it comes to matching gear I tended to buy a tuner first and if I liked it I went in looking for the amp,preamp,or whatever mated with it.

As far as the aj41 goes I had mine mated to a AA-141 preamp and a AA-121 power amp.I also had at the time a pair of W7 moblocks and a AJ-12 FM tuner.
Moving into Scott gear I had a chocolate face lk 72, a 233,lt110,314 and a mono tuner u forget the model of .
Many other systems throughout the years but just thought I'd mention those 2 as that's what's mentioned in this thread.
The amps are gone but I still have all the tuners.
My username isn't radioactive for no reason.
I won't even start on my shortwave radio collecting hobby.
 
Yeah, me neither. What I really need is more and better stations.
Yeah it's a shame really as there are many great tuners out there that are gathering dust because the quality of most radio stations are sh*t
I have a couple of college stations here that I listen too as well as a privately owned station which makes it almost worthwhile.
 
You can check out this thread on the aj41.
 
I received my AA-100 and the AJ-41 as a matching set from an old friend who was retiring and moving across the country.
Initially, I wasn't sure what to make of the styling; it just didn't jibe with my idea of what "electronics" should look like, if you know what I mean. But, my love of 50's cars eventually won me over. It's like having a '57 DeSoto Adventurer in the room :)
Those late DeSoto cars are gorgeous. Jimmy Stewart's character drove one in "Vertigo."
 
Back
Top Bottom