• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Scott Power Transformer TR12-12-1; anyone know 'from what?'

Wharfcreek

Jack of all trades, master of none!!
Staff member
Moderator
Subscriber
Just received an ebay purchase of a Scott 222B, and it has this PT in it. Clearly the wrong one, or so I believe. The 222B schematic shows only 7 wires in the secondary of it's 'proper' PT. This one has 10. I'm guessing this to be from either a Scott Integrated, or maybe a Receiver? Any help in ID'ing this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Tom D.
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes, according to the schematic, the 200/200B/LK-30 had 10 wires because of the split filament strings and bias tap.
 
Yup! 200 / LK-30. Damn shame! Of ALL the power transformers I've got around here, I actually have another one of those, along with a set of 200 output transformers. Guess now I have 2 of them! Thanks for the help guys! This is clearly the wrong PT for my 222B, but maybe something constructive can be done with it. I may also see if perhaps TRanscendar or Heyboer can 'rewind' it to 222B specs. Again, thanks for the info!

Tom D.
 
Tom,

Maybe just get another new transformer from one of the vendors. Should cost ~ $100-150? (I know, it's not MY money!!!)
 
Hey Don,

I communicated with Gery at Transcendar and he can make the PT for about $30 more than the cost of a rewind. But, he doesnt include that copper band when he builds one. I think the cost for 'new' was $155 or so. I've emailed Heyboer and not yet heard back from them. I think the 222C is worth the price of a new PT, and I think the one that Transcendar makes is a good fit for that amp. But the 222B is a lower voltage amp with no bias bridge, and I dont know if Transcendar even has the specs on that PT in order to reproduce one. Because I have 2 of these TR12-12-1 units I just thought it might be a better starting point . I don't really know yet what to do, but I get your point and you're probably right about just keeping it for a future project!
 
Even if they don't have the "Specs" of the transformer, I would think that if you sent them the schematic, they could figure out what you needed and then how to make it. Especially if you send them the physical dimensions of the original transformer. I have an LC-21 that has an outboard filament transformer. One day, I want to find a replacement to make it "whole" again. Also, I asked if Trancendar could use cloth covered wires. They said no. But I wasn't smart enough to offer to send wire to them. They did use my bells when they made a transformer for my 299 second edition.
 
Don, I'm pretty convinced that Transcendar's 'quality' is better than most. I have used their output transformers in projects going back as far as perhaps 20 years ago? I think I bought my first set of them for use in a 'clone' of a Dynaco ST-70.....and they were GREAT. Since then I've probably purchased 15 to 20 sets for various projects. I'd also mention that our good friend Dave Gillespie has had rather good impressions of the Transcendar units he's actually tested, where his results on other manufacturers like Heyboer, Hammond, and Edcor fail miserably according to him. I've used many an Edcor OT in projects, and never been disappointed. And, I've also used Heyboer on some Fisher projects as well as for some Power Transformer repairs. Again, I"ve never been disappointed. So, all that said.....my feelings are that if I'm to spend a good buck on output transformers, might as well go with the 'better' versions as supplied by Transcendar! About 1.5X the price, but probably worth it in the end. On the other hand, when it comes to the Power Transformer part of this, I think Heyboer produces products that are perfectly satisfactory, and are a bit less in cost than those from Transcendar. So, I've actually just sent Phil at Heyboer an email with an 'order' for one each of the 222B and 222C power transformers. He has specs for both on file, and sent me the info to confirm that it was what I needed. His price was $140 for the 222C unit with the bias winding, and $130 for the 222B unit with no bias winding. Both are dimensionally equal, though the lam stack in the 'B' may be about 1/8" shorter on the actual 'stock' and proper original units. I didn't actually measure a 'B' unit, but I did measure the 'C' unit I have in the LK-48 I've been working on, as well as the lam stack on the 200 PT. Both were 1.5" on the button! Phil indicated in his records that the 'B' unit was 1 3/8" thick, but I wrote back and told him both the B and C were 1.5. Guess we'll see what happens when I get them. I also asked him if by ordering the two I could get any price break. I guess we'll see what happens there as well. I'll let you know when I get any further info from him.

As to my 'spare' 200 PT, I'm thinking that it might be the basis of a nice 'scratch build' power amp with 4 EL84s, and a couple of driver tubes. Since all the filaments can be powered from the two individual filament windings (much like a Dynaco ST-35 or SCA-35), that part of the amp won't be a problem. The HV is perfect for a build like this. AND......I can use the bias tap and make the thing 'fixed' bias! About 2 years ago I build a spin-off version of the Dynaco ST-35 using a driver stage developed by Shannon Parks from over on the DIY Audio forums. He took Dynaco's 7235 driver stage and separated the two triode sections and used a single 12AX7 and 12AU7 vs two 7235s. He beefed up the Power Supply some, added a choke and some larger filter caps. I did NOT incorporate Mr. Gillespie's Enhanced Fixed Bias into the amp. But, even without it, it sounds really nice! I may try to build something like that again, use this TR12-12-1 power transformer, and go with 'fixed' bias this next time around........

Anyway........onward! Long day today. I had a new roof put on my house and garage today. Unfortunately they had to replace about 20 pieces of plywood @ $90 each, plus some rotten facia boards for another $500! Gonna be a lean Christmas!!

Catch you later Don!

Tom
 
Back
Top Bottom