• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Scott Receiver/KLH Speakers

gweagraff

New Member
Okay so here's my situation. I've had this H.H. Scott 359RS receiver for quite some time now, and I use some KLH Model 23 speakers with it. It was having a problem with the tuner memory, so I bought another receiver off of eBay, a Realistic STA-820 to be exact. I turned the volume way up, and it sounded like it blew the speakers. They still work, but I get a buzzing noise if turned up too loud, which I wasn't before. I sent it back for a refund. I then decided to take my Scott receiver and KLH speakers to Audio Pro in Watertown, MA. Vince (the guy who works there, I think he's been talked about here) tested them out, and claimed that there is nothing wrong with them, but he thinks it's in the receiver. I had my Scott receiver serviced, but I am still not sure. However, I did have my tone controls (Bass and Treble) jacked all the way up. He stated how nobody ever does that. But the thing is, I never had this issue until I supposedly "blew" the speakers with that Realistic. So what do you think? Do you think my speakers are shot?
 
Register to hide this ad
Is it a buzz or a pop? Some KLH's are known to bottom out when pushed too hard. I have a set of 363's that will pop extremely loud when I go a little to wild on the volume knob.

I resealed the surrounds and it seemed to allow them to extend a little further. but they still bottom out. In the end i paired them with a lower powered HK 340 and they seem to be fine with that.

If there is a "buzzing" that could be a bad tweeter or something loose like the spider.
 
Maybe it is more of a pop than a buzz. But I think it's coming from the woofer, not the tweeter. When it first started happening with that Realistic it made an extremely loud pop before it started doing it constantly.
 
Back
Top Bottom