• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

scratchy sound, Help

yilmazcan

New Member
Hi, I got my new AT-92ECD and set it up to my PL-750. I did the cart alignment, tonearm and anti-skating calibration. But in all LP's there exist a scratchy sound in the base. When the volume increases in the lp (not with tone control) this scratchy sound also inreases. How can avoid from this thing?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Do you have a manual for this turntable? By what method did you align the cartridge? What tracking force are you using--do you know how to properly set tracking force? What is the anti-skate set at?
 
No, unfortunately I don't have the manual. While aligning the cart i used baerwald method and set the tracking force nearly at 1.5 gr and anti-skate is at aprox. 1.5.. I am inexperienced and open to your advices..
 
Sorry if this comes across as condescending, but are you running the table through a line-level input instead of a phono stage?
 
That's a good question. Your amp/receiver should have a PHONO input.

Download the manual for the PL-640 at vinylengine. It's close enough to your model so that the cartridge setup is the same. This cartridge should be run at 1.25g and anti-skate set to the same.
 
I use Akai AM-57, so I have phono input. I did everything according to the manual but every thing is the same. Does fixing the cartridge wires wrong causes this scratchy sound? If yes I will try this.
 
Well, certainly you should check to make sure the wires are attached correctly. Also remove the stylus and then put it back on to make sure it is seated all the way in. If all that fails, then it could be defective, and I'd contact the seller to see if you can get a replacement.
 
What exactly do you mean by scratchy? Is it making a static sound at all volume levels? Or do you hear it as you increase the volume? Also does the sound your describing do it on say CD or Tuner.
 
AT92ecd cartridge trouble????

I picked this up for my PE2040 as a spare, I have two head shells,...figured cheap cartridge for some worn records etc. Its suppose to be pretty good for the money. I had trouble with it as well tracking at prescribed weight/anti scate. Cantaviler is soft and cartridge dragged on record you could hear stuff you didn"t want to hear, definately was a no go!!!! the store wanted no part of taking back...... Audio Technica was fantastic they swapped me for a AT 71 E, fantastic customer service!!!!! FOR the money and OTHEWISE this cartridge rocks
 
I picked this up for my PE2040 as a spare, I have two head shells,...figured cheap cartridge for some worn records etc. Its suppose to be pretty good for the money. I had trouble with it as well tracking at prescribed weight/anti scate. Cantaviler is soft and cartridge dragged on record you could hear stuff you didn"t want to hear, definately was a no go!!!! the store wanted no part of taking back...... Audio Technica was fantastic they swapped me for a AT 71 E, fantastic customer service!!!!! FOR the money and OTHEWISE this cartridge rocks
On the other hand others have had very good success with the same cartridge. So I think there may have been a batch of bad ones.
 
Many thaks to Howard and the other friends. The problem seems to be solved with your recommendations. Wonderful sound...
 
Back
Top Bottom