• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Screw it, I'm going mono.

Cool, Ron! I especially like this:

attachment.php



:thmbsp:
 
A little cabinet cleaning and removal of all things old. That cap is still probably good though but I have no way of testing it. Come to think of it, I have no way of testing the new one to see if it's good either ;)

RC
 

Attachments

  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 010 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 010 (816 x 612).jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 011 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 011 (816 x 612).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 78
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 003 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 003 (816 x 612).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 76
Looks like the tweeter surround is gonzo also. This is going to be a real PIA to deal with me thinks. I have two choices I guess.

1) See if I can find something close at Midwest.
2) Make my own.

I'm kind of leaning toward make my own, just because I'm a glutton for punishment.

The tweeter itself would be a tough one to find a suitable replacement for. It's 10 Ohm.

Any suggestions as to surround material would be welcome. I do have some of that thin foam wrapping material that might just work. Maybe a trip to Jo-Anne fabrics in in order.

RC
 

Attachments

  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 004 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 004 (816 x 612).jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 005 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 005 (816 x 612).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 006 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 006 (816 x 612).jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 008 (612 x 816).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 008 (612 x 816).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 73
Looking forward to hearing this next week.


I'm well past "static display" at this point and there is no turning back! It will be done :smoke:

I was going to sub in your wharfedale tweeter you gave me but sucker be an 8 Ohm. I wonder what I could strap across or inline with that bitch to make it more of a 10 Ohm'er :scratch2:

RC
 
Just caught up with this post again so got out my tweeters, yeah, out of the draw string black bag, and found slight differences. Mine are called Super 3 Model and require crossing over above 4000 cycles otherwise they look the same. I had thought mine were in great condition but sadly found that the VERY delicate foam was in the initial stages of decomposition and like you, I think that it would be a very difficult repair job.
I never heard mine so I don't even know if they're worth playing with so I'll probably leave them lying round until they rot out completely and then throw them out...probably another few years. :D
I have to learn to control my acquisitions.,....starting now!!
 
I never knew Wharfedale did anything like that. Very interesting indeed.

So... When are you going to E-Wave it? :D
 
I never knew Wharfedale did anything like that. Very interesting indeed.

So... When are you going to E-Wave it? :D

Immediately upon, where and when monkeys fly outta my ass and make me dinner. ;)

On the other hand... :scratch2:

RC
 
Well, cleaning up the tweeter was a little more of a delicate process than the woofer without a doubt. I have never tried to re-foam a paper cone tweeter before, so I not sure if the suspension is supposed to be this light or not :dunno: Not sure what I am going to end up with but I'm going in anyway.
 

Attachments

  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 020 (612 x 816).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 020 (612 x 816).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 022 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 022 (816 x 612).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 019 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 019 (816 x 612).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 79
I'll be watching this with interest. If you succeed then the challenge is there for me...nothing to lose anyway. Good luck with it. :thmbsp:
 
Here is my first shot at making my own surround. The foam wrapping material I used was maybe a little thick but it was all I had on hand and made for good experimentation.

I needed a round that was slightly under 3 1/4". Too lazy to go dig out my templates or compass, I found another high tech. device that was closer at hand and met my requirements :smoke:

The inside diameter was a little more of an eyeball guess and implementation of another high tech. device. Result: Swing and a miss but I'm getting closer.

RC
 

Attachments

  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 012 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 012 (816 x 612).jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 015 (612 x 816).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 015 (612 x 816).jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 016 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 016 (816 x 612).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 017 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 017 (816 x 612).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 023 (816 x 612).jpg
    Wharfedale SFB3 tweeter and cabinet cleanup 023 (816 x 612).jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I'll be watching this with interest. If you succeed then the challenge is there for me...nothing to lose anyway. Good luck with it. :thmbsp:


Thanks, can't hurt to try I guess.

I do have a DCR reading of 9.2 but still not sure if the driver will function properly. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if it doesn't. At this point, it's just man vs. machine.

RC
 
Ron, I didn't realize you were so resourceful... When you're done with that one, I've got a garage full of speakers that need refoaming! :thmbsp:

Nice work so far - I hope that tweeter works out!
 
Ron, I didn't realize you were so resourceful... When you're done with that one, I've got a garage full of speakers that need refoaming! :thmbsp:

Nice work so far - I hope that tweeter works out!


Ha! the refoaming of these just might be the death of me :D

I hope the tweeter works out well also. If not, it won't be from lack of trying. Interesting exercise anyway.

RC
 
Back
Top Bottom