• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SE Output transformers

Register to hide this ad
Everyone's ears are so different that it would be very hard to say what you would like best. All brands you picked are good quality products, order a set and see what you think. If you don't like them put them on the bay, they'll sell.
 
A pair of One Electron will likely cost you over $200 for the pair. There are many transformers available in that price range. I'm been shopping for transformers myself, and I am in the process of assembling a list of contacts. You're welcome to browse through it and see if there are any manufacturers you may have overlooked. Let us know what you find.
 

Attachments

I used a pair of Transcenders off ebay for a Loftin White direct coupled 2A3 and am very pleased with them.
 
Gery at Transcendar quoted me for 5K-8ohm 100ma w/ extra tap at 50%:

Hello,

Price is $120 per pair, plus $15.35 shipping.
Delivery is 2 to 3 weeks after payment is recieved.
Payment may be made by Paypal to sales@transcendar.com or by check or Money order.

Thanks,
Gery
 
Well, since everyone else is recommending the Transcendar outputs, I'll throw in my two cents. I used his 5K:8 on my single ended project, and they sounded really good. They've got plenty of inductance for deep powerful bass, and the bandwidth appears to extend well past the upper octaves. I'd say these are tough to beat, especially considering the price.

 
Has anyone compared the Transcendars to the higher end Edcors. The GXSE would be about half as much as the Transcendars, while the CXSE would be about $50 more. The frequency range of the GXSE is stated as 40Hz to 18KHz, but I wonder how conservative that might be. My tin ear probably couldn't tell the difference, but I wonder about others expriences.
 
Has anyone compared the Transcendars to the higher end Edcors. The GXSE would be about half as much as the Transcendars...

I own a set of Transcendar 5K:8, as well as a set of Edcor GXSE 15-6-2.5K. While the application of each is not identical, I feel the Transcendar is the better transformer. The next time around, I would gladly pay $115 for a pair of Transcendar, compared to $60 for the Edcor. Don't get me wrong - the Edcor is a good transformer too, and more than worth the $60 for the pair. But considering the effort spent building an amplifier and the comparative length of time spent listening to it, I'd rather pay double for the better transformer.

 
I would agree, especially when double the cost only means $60. There's definately no contest when it comes to looks. The Transcendars look great.
 
Thanks, I ordered two sets of transcendar 5K/8ohms for 45 and 3K / 8 ohms for the 2A3, (ebay or Epay) is pending the change in the VT-25 and 300B, for the VT-25 I thought I require 10K. I think 5K / 4 ohm connected to my 8ohms speakers it reflects impedance (10K) or I am wrong.
For the 300B 5K and 3K will try to see which fits better, thank you very much,
 
I used a pair of Transcendar transformers when I built a tube amp inside a Sony receiver. I'm not working them all that hard here (1 watt), but they sound quite good.
sony50C5amp1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~wa2ise/sonytubed.html
 
Silk purse out of a sow's ear....

I used a pair of Transcendar transformers when I built a tube amp inside a Sony receiver. I'm not working them all that hard here (1 watt), but they sound quite good.
sony50C5amp1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~wa2ise/sonytubed.html

That is a wonderful example demonstrating that American ingenuity is still alive and well... Bravo!....:thmbsp:

Thanks, I ordered two sets of transcendar 5K/8ohms for 45 and 3K / 8 ohms for the 2A3, (ebay or Epay) is pending the change in the VT-25 and 300B, for the VT-25 I thought I require 10K. I think 5K / 4 ohm connected to my 8ohms speakers it reflects impedance (10K) or I am wrong.
For the 300B 5K and 3K will try to see which fits better, thank you very much,

I think you'll be more than pleased. Gery does a great job with his iron. Why skimp on such an important part of your build?
 
two days ago the 2A3 is running with the Transcend 3K/8ohms, so far I have thoroughly pleased. On Monday, the replacement of 45.Good detail, clear sound, great option for the set diyers, Again thanks,
 
Back
Top Bottom