• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Second pair of speakers for blues/jazz: AR-3ax or AR-10 Pi?

Fab9

Member
Hi there:

I'd like to buy a second pair of speakers to alternate with my JBL L65,
mainly for listening to blues, jazz, and acoustic recordings.
I'm considering getting a pair of Acoustic Research, what would you recommend between the AR-3a/AR-3ax and the AR-10 Pi?
What would be the advantages and disadvantages of these speakers compared to the JBL L65?
What should I consider when buying these speakers?
What kind of maintenance or restoration work is typically required?

Thank you
 
Register to hide this ad
I have AR-10Pis and love them; the vocals are outstanding on them and the bass is rich. They are an iteration of the AR3, so they are quite similar to the AR-3a. I like mine enough that I keep them as downsizing speakers should I sell my Altec A7s and often swap them in for listening in my main kit.

I’m not familiar with the L65 sound, but confident you’d like the 10Pis which probably need more power. That being said, mine do well on my SEUL KT88 amp that powers my Altec A7s. I just have to twist the volume a bit more.
 
Thank you,
same price for Allison One…
so the Allison Ones are also among the possible choices.
 
I know this not one of your choices, but if you could find a pair of B&O 5700 book shelf speakers you be way ahead. Celestion using the same drivers made a floor slim line tall version of the B&O. That big dome mid-range was a fantastic driver. The dome tweeter was so much smoother than the AR3ax tweeter also. Having the 12 in woofer with the PR cuts down on the FM distortion PUnknown.jpegaul Klipsch use to complain about that AR speakers produced.
 
I don’t have experience with the JBL’s you’re using, but I have a lot of AR experience and experience with the 10-Pi and -3a, and I just finished restoring my pair of Allison Ones last month. (There is no -3ax by the way; you may be confusing it with the -2ax.)

No matter which of the three options you choose, if you buy them unrefurbished they will need refoamed surrounds (unless you find an early -3a pair with cloth surrounds, but those drivers frequently have their own problems unrestored). They will also likely need new capacitors. I got lucky and had blue Sprague caps in my -10pi’s which have a reputation for being in spec still. My -3a’s had terrible old wax capacitors and the A1’s had out of spec electrolytics.

The -3a’s will need their potentiometers cleaned at least if not replaced with modern L-pads and a resistor. The 10pi’s and A1’s don’t use pots.

The -3a tweeters will need to be rebuilt to get closer back to their original output. The foam suspension dots degrade and stiffen over time, reducing dispersion and output.

The -3a’s and -10pi’s are basically equivalent after restoration. L Calibrating the woofer for placement is more flexible with the -10pi. Placement is flexible with the -3a but be sure to have them a foot off the floor.

The Allisons can be an odd one to place and are a very different style of speaker than the AR’s. I use my Allisons at the front of my room in a parallel-placement/direct-reflecting arrangement. I’d look at the Allison One series brochure to see their placement recommendations.

Consider room placement and where you’d put them. The -3a’s will need the most work.
 
Back
Top Bottom