• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Seeking advice from vintage Luxman enthusiasts:

mschool

Active Member
I’m new to Luxman, but I’m doing my research, and for vinyl, the L4XX seems the highest phono performance from Luxman before the shift to CDs with the L500.

I am looking for the best possible MM/MC phono stage performance to drive two 3-way Victor speakers that are 6 OHM and can go up to 180 Watts. I’m currently driving the speakers with a newish Onkyo A9010 at 44 wpc.

I'm currently operating a Denon DP47F TT with an Audio Technica VM540ML (MM) cartridge. I have yet to even try an MC cartridge and may do so in the future. I want to make sure that the integrated amp will be high quality for MM as well as MC (for the future)

I am zeroing in on the Luxman L400, L410, and L430 respectively. Can someone tell me the intrinsic differences between these three amps that were released close to one another in 1988? I want the best possible audiophile listening experince. All three are available to me here in Japan from HardOff Stores with 3-6 months warranty for under $400 USD.

Thank you very much.
 
Register to hide this ad
Could be a bit difficult getting precise information on the circuit design differences, fortunately there are a few knowledgeable Luxman members here. I use the L 480 from 1979 - 80 which also has both MM / MC functions, and the phono rca inputs are the only ones that are gold plated so they at least were giving it some thought. I also use the L 215 which is from the same era as the L 4X series, still a nice unit that sounds quite good.


Perhaps do a search as I am certain there will be some feedback from owners who have something to say about how some of those models sound via Phono.




In case you missed this one:luxman-l-430-501.html
 
Could be a bit difficult getting precise information on the circuit design differences, fortunately there are a few knowledgeable Luxman members here. I use the L 480 from 1979 - 80 which also has both MM / MC functions, and the phono rca inputs are the only ones that are gold plated so they at least were giving it some thought. I also use the L 215 which is from the same era as the L 4X series, still a nice unit that sounds quite good.


Perhaps do a search as I am certain there will be some feedback from owners who have something to say about how some of those models sound via Phono.




In case you missed this one:luxman-l-430-501.html
Thank you very much. Perhaps to continue the thread:

My current MM (Audio Technica VM 540 ML) cartridge spec states “Recommended Load Capacitance 100-200 pF”.

This technical article on the Luxman L430 states:

“...advisable to use a cartridge designed to operate into a load of 400 pF or so.”

Might that difference on load capacitance warrant excluding the Luxman L430 from my list of target integrated amplifiers to consider based on my current system?
 
Last edited:
I am looking for the best possible MM/MC phono stage performance

Might that difference on load capacitance warrant excluding the Luxman L430 from my list of target integrated amplifiers to consider based on my current system?



I'm sure the L-400/410/430 all have good phono sections. Considering the above quotes I would recommend the L-510 or the L-530 ( 1981 before Alpine ) they have excellent phono sections with adjustable cartridge load.
The only thing is, you won't find one for $400.


Screenshot from 2020-12-27 03-14-05.png DSC04515.JPG
 
I'm sure the L-400/410/430 all have good phono sections. Considering the above quotes I would recommend the L-510 or the L-530 ( 1981 before Alpine ) they have excellent phono sections with adjustable cartridge load.
The only thing is, you won't find one for $400.


View attachment 2078267 View attachment 2078268
After 30 years in San Francisco, I retired to rural Japan with my Japanese wife at the end of 2018. I brought 300 records from an estate sale and no audio gear. Suffice it to say, I now have a good budget system with vintage gear, except for the amp. Your suggestions on the L-510 and L-530 are extremely helpful. I see the selector knob for MM & MC adjustments. Japan is rich with junk and maintained gear. The L4XX go for $200 USD to $300USD and the L5XX you cite go for no more than $500 USD. What I need to delve into is how much these units were restored. There are some diligent sellers here that are in it for the joy and not the gouge. Now, when I go into used equipment shops, I know the units and I know thew market prices. Language is tough, but my wife can help me on the Japanese facing side, and folks lie yourself can help me with the due diligence. Thank you very much!
 
Back
Top Bottom