• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Seeking Advice: Realistic Optimus 50 Tweeter (#0766) Replacement

RIGS06

New Member
I've been looking with no luck to find used OEM to replace the tweeters on a pair of Realistic Optimus 50 speakers. I'm wondering about the experience of others when replacing the 0766 tweeter with some other used but non-OEM tweeter. Any experience using a modern tweeter? The 0766 tweeter's frame measures 2 5/8" square; center to center screw holes measure 2 1/4".

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions or guidance.
Realistic Optimus 50 Tweeter 0766-tile 2.png
 
Register to hide this ad
I've been looking with no luck to find used OEM to replace the tweeters on a pair of Realistic Optimus 50 speakers. I'm wondering about the experience of others when replacing the 0766 tweeter with some other used but non-OEM tweeter. Any experience using a modern tweeter? The 0766 tweeter's frame measures 2 5/8" square; center to center screw holes measure 2 1/4".

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions or guidance.
View attachment 2766876
I had a pair of the OPT 50's and mine used the black painted version of those with the smaller center cap. I believe they never changed those tweeters much for years. Almost any of the speakers from the 80's using that type of tweeter should replace them. The difference on yours are the center caps are a little larger than the ones on my pair of 50's. The tweeters in these MC-1201 are just like what mine used. Any of them will be a drop in and match the crossover design.

88466386_614.jpg
 
I had a pair of the OPT 50's and mine used the black painted version of those with the smaller center cap. I believe they never changed those tweeters much for years. Almost any of the speakers from the 80's using that type of tweeter should replace them. The difference on yours are the center caps are a little larger than the ones on my pair of 50's. The tweeters in these MC-1201 are just like what mine used. Any of them will be a drop in and match the crossover design.

88466386_614.jpg
Thank you, Tim64. I found a set originally off a pair of MC 500 speakers that look right. I'll report back here once I receive and install them.
 
Final follow-up: Unfortunately, the MC 500 tweeters didn't work as one was blown. However, I picked up a pair of ONS tweeters originally for Dick Seguerra Met 7's. Once installed, and after recapping the crossover and re-foaming the MF and LF drivers, the RS Optimus 50 speakers sound quite good. The new tweeters add a touch of brightness by contrast to the old ones, the new capacitors enhance the clarity (and maybe some spatial definition), and the refoamed drivers are doing their thing as well as ever.

Thank you, all, for the advice and suggestions.
 
Back
Top Bottom