• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Seeking Info on Altec Lansing Model 3 Series II Crossover Capacitors

Nurnmurmer

New Member
I just picked up a pair of Altec Lansing Model 3 Series II speakers in pretty good shape. The pot for adjusting treble on the back of the speaker is scratchy, and these speakers are getting on 50 years old, so I am considering replacing the caps on the 1500 Hz crossover and giving the pot a squirt of DeOxit. Can anybody help identifying suitable replacement caps so I can purchase before I remove the crossover board?
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks for checking.
Can you tell me the year of the speakers please. I know the Library stops in the 70-80's up to 96. But if I had the year of them built I can do other research. I'll still look in other parts of the Library dig a bit deeper. Found they were made in 78 which is great it make it much easier to locate information. I did go to WWW.lansingheritage.org/ on the web and Altec Heritage forum here on AudioKarma searched altec lansing model 3 series II for quite a bit of info you should go to that site here on Audio Karma and search altec lansing 3 series II quite a bit of inquires and replies. I found the year and then to Altec Lansing library and copied the page yet nothing on the crossovers. But you can ask may get a reply on a photo of the crossover..
 

Attachments

  • page04.jpg
    page04.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Can you tell me the year of the speakers please. I know the Library stops in the 70-80's up to 96. But if I had the year of them built I can do other research. I'll still look in other parts of the Library dig a bit deeper. Found they were made in 78 which is great it make it much easier to locate information. I did go to WWW.lansingheritage.org/ on the web and Altec Heritage forum here on AudioKarma searched altec lansing model 3 series II for quite a bit of info you should go to that site here on Audio Karma and search altec lansing 3 series II quite a bit of inquires and replies. I found the year and then to Altec Lansing library and copied the page yet nothing on the crossovers. But you can ask may get a reply on a photo of the crossover..
IMG_1335.jpeg
I am guessing they were built in Feb 1980, based upon the "2 80" imprinted on the back?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 9
one guy on audiokarma rcs16 under forum lansing legacy I searched your speakers he replaced his tweeter with Morel MDT325 says it fits in size and sounds great
 
Thanks, but I'm just looking to replace the capacitors on the crossover. A guy in Australia recently rebuilt his crossovers, using 8.2 uf 250v film capacitors. I'm currently considering:

Dayton Audio 8.2mfd 250v 1% Metallized Polypropylene Caps, 0.0007ohms DF, 22mm D x 46mm L. 8.2uf​

for apx $11 CDN each. 1782426567059.png
 
I ended up ordering these....

I've used those Solens before. I like them. I used the PPE version not the PB.

61ab5281-28ea-43dc-9bc2-54a5e8804dfa.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hi,
With my driver upgrade, I left the original crossover components installed, sounds just fine to me.
I used a Morel MDT32S tweeter and a Faitalpro 10RS350-8 woofer.
I bought new Solen polypropylene caps, and air coil inductors. did not even bother to change them, since they sound great, as is. I do not see changing them will make any difference that I am going to notice. Even considered the redesigning the crossover. Speakers, even these new ones, have way more distortion than a cap does. If Altec had used a electrolytic cap then it would have been changed.
Since the pair I bought at a garage sale for $25, had two different brands of replacement low cost woofers installed, I can't compare my changes to what the originals would have.
I changed the woofers recently because the surrounds rotted. The tweeter because I use Morel tweeters in other speaker upgrades, with good success and power handling. Yet to blow one.
But I am confident that my driver upgrade makes them totally different and an improvement. Is the $ spent worth it well that's debatable. It would be nice to compare my upgrades to the originals. I am still surprised the clarity and bass for a 10" woofer.
I did change the 8-ohm L-pad, bought a 50W from Solen.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250925_205552060.jpg
    PXL_20250925_205552060.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20251026_124257604.jpg
    PXL_20251026_124257604.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20250927_203605590.jpg
    PXL_20250927_203605590.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hi,
With my driver upgrade, I left the original crossover components installed, sounds just fine to me.
I used a Morel MDT32S tweeter and a Faitalpro 10RS350-8 woofer.
I bought new Solen polypropylene caps, and air coil inductors. did not even bother to change them, since they sound great, as is. I do not see changing them will make any difference that I am going to notice. Even considered the redesigning the crossover. Speakers, even these new ones, have way more distortion than a cap does. If Altec had used a electrolytic cap then it would have been changed.
Since the pair I bought at a garage sale for $25, had two different brands of replacement low cost woofers installed, I can't compare my changes to what the originals would have.
I changed the woofers recently because the surrounds rotted. The tweeter because I use Morel tweeters in other speaker upgrades, with good success and power handling. Yet to blow one.
But I am confident that my driver upgrade makes them totally different and an improvement. Is the $ spent worth it well that's debatable. It would be nice to compare my upgrades to the originals. I am still surprised the clarity and bass for a 10" woofer.
I did change the 8-ohm L-pad, bought a 50W from Solen.
Thanks for the photos!
 
Likewise. If your tweeters ever go and you want to use the originals, mine are sitting in the speaker parts box waiting for you.
 
Hi,
With my driver upgrade, I left the original crossover components installed, sounds just fine to me.
I used a Morel MDT32S tweeter and a Faitalpro 10RS350-8 woofer.
I bought new Solen polypropylene caps, and air coil inductors. did not even bother to change them, since they sound great, as is. I do not see changing them will make any difference that I am going to notice. Even considered the redesigning the crossover. Speakers, even these new ones, have way more distortion than a cap does. If Altec had used a electrolytic cap then it would have been changed.
Since the pair I bought at a garage sale for $25, had two different brands of replacement low cost woofers installed, I can't compare my changes to what the originals would have.
I changed the woofers recently because the surrounds rotted. The tweeter because I use Morel tweeters in other speaker upgrades, with good success and power handling. Yet to blow one.
But I am confident that my driver upgrade makes them totally different and an improvement. Is the $ spent worth it well that's debatable. It would be nice to compare my upgrades to the originals. I am still surprised the clarity and bass for a 10" woofer.
I did change the 8-ohm L-pad, bought a 50W from Solen.
Hi rcs16. Looking at your photos, that crossover is exactly the same as mine (see attached picture)IMG_1362.jpeg. Question: What is that yellow powdery residue coating the metal piece... is it anything to be worried about?
 
Hi,
I was curious what it was too. Not sure, do not think it's a problem since it does not seem to cause any issues. I am guessing it's some sort of oxide. Metal plating on the steel frame, possibly and hopefully zinc plating (yellow chromate) oxidization. Better that than cadmium oxide which is toxic.
 
Last edited:
Finished the rebuild on the AL Model 3 Series II (new caps, deox of treble pots). Now hooked up to my Marantz 2270 and they sound fantastic. Major improvement in the higher frequencies, more definition, yet still warm and easy on the ears. Very pleased!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1396.jpeg
    IMG_1396.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom