Piper Blvd
New Member
Hi Everyone!
Unfortunately, I am very much a "Drop In Replacement" kind of person (which, probably tells a little bit about my skill level). With the exception of the Dynaco PAS (for which I have bought power supply replacement board kits), I have always avoided buying / working on equipment with selenium rectifiers.
Here is what I do know:
- What they did.
- Their internal resistance drifts, causing them to fail.
- They should always be replaced.
- You cannot just simply replace them with 2 diodes alone, a resistor (of a T.B.D resistance value, but with a 10 Watt power rating) needs to be added because the selenium rectifier had a greater voltage drop than modern day diodes do.
But........What about this?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SARKES-TARZ...287819?hash=item3d35f584cb:g:WzUAAOSwTuJYuyix
If you check the pictures in the listing out, the kit came with specs, and installation instructions for both wiring it as either a half or full wave.
I guess in theory, this kit would work, but I am thinking that more details would have to be known about the selenium rectifier its replacing? Also, Capacitors and resistors are one thing, but what about old / NOS diodes, can they be used safely?
*Note, anything that I would install this in would be for my own personal use. I don't sell repair or equipment (or claim to be an expert!)
Any suggestions / advice / thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Unfortunately, I am very much a "Drop In Replacement" kind of person (which, probably tells a little bit about my skill level). With the exception of the Dynaco PAS (for which I have bought power supply replacement board kits), I have always avoided buying / working on equipment with selenium rectifiers.
Here is what I do know:
- What they did.
- Their internal resistance drifts, causing them to fail.
- They should always be replaced.
- You cannot just simply replace them with 2 diodes alone, a resistor (of a T.B.D resistance value, but with a 10 Watt power rating) needs to be added because the selenium rectifier had a greater voltage drop than modern day diodes do.
But........What about this?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SARKES-TARZ...287819?hash=item3d35f584cb:g:WzUAAOSwTuJYuyix
If you check the pictures in the listing out, the kit came with specs, and installation instructions for both wiring it as either a half or full wave.
I guess in theory, this kit would work, but I am thinking that more details would have to be known about the selenium rectifier its replacing? Also, Capacitors and resistors are one thing, but what about old / NOS diodes, can they be used safely?
*Note, anything that I would install this in would be for my own personal use. I don't sell repair or equipment (or claim to be an expert!)
Any suggestions / advice / thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks!