• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sennheiser HD424 Headphones today . . .

tubeboob

Super Member
I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD424 headphones today at a yard sale, even got a spare set of ear pads.

I bought them only because of the Sennheiser name and because they looked way cool.

I searched the internet and found very little on them, so I thought I would look to you guys for some input.

Any info at all is welcomed.

Cheers
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm surprised no one's responded. I know there are several owners and past owners over on That Headphone Site.

As a past owner myself, I can tell you the original 424 is best thought of as an improved HD 414. The bass is extended a bit due to the thinner earpads, but it's basically the same headphone, with a similar sound and the same 2k impedance.

There were later versions, which I haven't heard-- e.g., the 424X-- and some of these had lower impedances, and people say they sound different.

I'd say that if you want to hear what Sennheiser accomplished in 1968, get the 414. If you want to hear what the 414 should have sounded like, get a 424. It's a nearly futureproof headphone, something only a few dynamics of the '70s achieved.
 
2k impedance! What the hell do you do with that Wualta? Seems like it could be problematic for the typical headphone jack to drive?:scratch2:
 
It turns out that impedance just isn't the rosetta stone of headphone/speaker/amp/cable/cablecar/audi a8 performance that it's made out to be on certain non-AK forums.

It becomes important when you're dealing with flea-power portable equipment, but it's not at all important when there's enough power supply oomph available, which is why there are a bunch of kids on that other forum trying their headphones on [gasp!] "vintage" amps and receivers and collectively going "Oo!"

In the AK world, sensitivity is a far more important figure of merit. The Sennheisers are simply sensitive enough to overcome the impedance mismatch. In fact, on my ancient '70s gear, they were actually more efficient than the typical 8-ohm Koss headphone of the time.

One advantage of the high impedance is that you can run several pairs in parallel without loading down the amp.
 
Last edited:
The HD424 was an improved HD414. The 424 was more comfortable in that it spread the force against the ear over a wider area. The original headband lacked detents and was difficult to keep in place. Later models had detents to fix the element position along the headband. Sound was slightly more open than the HD414.

Fernando
 
I still have mine which I bought in 1978/79. Love them. On my third set of foams. fortunately you can still buy them.

When I bought them I compared them to the 414 in the store. The 424 cost more, but glad I bought them as they do sound better.
 
I had both the 414 and the 424 in the 70's. I agree that the 424 was both better sounding and more comfortable. I just wish I knew what happened to either of them.

Ray
 
I have a pair of the HD414's I bought new back in college. 1976 as I recall. I'm old. I have replaced the pads a few time over the years and the original pads were blue instead of yellow.
 
I picked up the Senn 424 in '76 as part of a complete system based on the JBL L100. I seriously regret throwing them out because the foam pads were disintegrating.
 
I think my HD414 pads from 1969 were gray.

Fernando

Damn! You're older than me. :D

I remember the 414's being grey plastic, later black and coming with yellow or blue foam pads. Still wish I had mine.

Mine are white with blue foam pads. Maybe the older models had the gray head band. The first time I ever replaced the original blue pads back in the mid 80's were yellow and I still have a new pair still in the package. I bought two pairs and replacement cable about 3 years ago and so my HD414's are on their 3rd set of pads. They were out of stock on the cable with the original 1/4" plug (and no longer being made AFAIK) and they sent me the mini-plug model instead. Mine are still in great shape and I remember when the original blue foam pads finally wore out how I continued to wear them for a while longer until I finally bought some new pads. They became quite uncomfortable with the pads worn to nothing.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • HD414pads.jpg
    HD414pads.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 326
I think getting the headphones from the online market can help you save a good deal of money and can help you to compare and choose the best headphones suitable to your needs. So, if you are planning to opt for DJ headphones then look for it online.
 
I got my HD 414s in 1979. If I remember correctly the pads were grey, but I too am on my third set and they are yellow. I loved lightweight fit (including adjustablity) and the sound was excellent back then when my hearing was better. I don't doubt there have been improvements to headphones over the years, but my hearing hasn't improved at all!
 
Have had two pair of lightweight Sennheiser's over the years. HD 40 and HD 400. Either one sound great and have IMO better bass response than the HD 414 did. I know these are cheapies, but they have served well over the last 30 years.
 
Just refit my HD 414 second backup pair (headband and drivers) with a new set of yellow foam cups and a fresh cable from Sennheiser with a mimi-plug. Decided to use these down at work in my new micro-fi setup (my office recently relocated and I am in an office with about 1/3 the space of the old...oh well, I still have a desk and a door).

I remember the 424s as being good, but I've always been well pleased with the sound from the 414s. Currently am listening to Pink Floyd's Animals (I feel an excellent choice for the end of the work week). Love the fit too, they are very comfortable to wear for an extended period. Bought my first pair about 1973. Nice to use something that's close to 40 years old and still works "as new."
 
Here is a link to the manual: HD 424


Had the HD 414 in 1976. Bought the Nak 600 and the HD 414s the same day. Also some Pure Prairie League for the turntable. Life was good! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom