• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sennheiser HD540 refit tips needed

Raynald

Addicted Member
Just picked up a pair from a former customer who bought them at the store I worked at. I exceptionally nice shape overall, the ear pads are even very nice though I imagine there was probably some sort of softer material on the edges that is now gone. The only real problem are the foam discs outside the drivers, they are falling apart. From what I gather a set for the HD250 will work and they are still available.

I have no clue how to take them apart and get the rotting foam off before even trying. I would hate to mess them up after they have survived so well this long so any tips would be appreciated, pictures would be really nice!

Thanks.

IMG_20170826_182107623.jpg

IMG_20170826_182039548.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
As I recall....you simply grab the ear cushion and pull it out. The foam over the driver is held in place by the cushion.
The cushions then snap back in.
 
OK, thanks for the tip. I will give that a try when I can. In Davos right now on my way back from Eurobike so it will have to wait!
 
BTW, I think Sennheiser might still sell the replacement foam. They do for the HD530. I had to call though.
 
No luck just pulling. Not sure if there is more to it or mine are just fused in place.

Pad replacements from Sennheiser are long out of stock. The only spare they list is a cable.
 
No luck just pulling. Not sure if there is more to it or mine are just fused in place.

I thought you just put your fingers in there between the foam and the earpad.
Is there a YouTube Video?
 
I thought you just put your fingers in there between the foam and the earpad.
Is there a YouTube Video?

Surprisingly there is no video to be found. I am reading through the HD540 thread over at head-fi but it is 94 pages. If I don't find the answer there are plenty of owners who can tell how as many roll pads regularly.
 
I had those cans, maybe gave them to my daughter many years ago.
I'll see if she can find them. I was sure they simply snap in. The ear pads have a rigid, flat plastic "plate" at the rear. That plactic piece is what holds the pad in place. It snaps into a groove inside the housing.
I think the idea is similar to other Sennheiser cans. Maybe you can look at a video for another model.
 
The Head-fi thread confirmed they just pull out so I went at them with more force and they came out. The plastic has no doubt gotten a little hard over time but nothing broke. I took a variety of soft to not so soft brushes to the remnants of the foam discs. Some spots needed gentle scrubbing with a small toothbrush.

Apparently nothing quite matches the sound of the original pads I have so I will try to keep them. I gave a careful pass with the vacuum, used tape and tweezers to clean them up as much as possible. I would like to wash them but I do not think they would survive too well.

Without any foam disc they are no doubt brighter sounding than they should be until I can get my hands on the HD-430 ones which are the correct fit. I just slipped the pads back on without clicking them into place for testing and they are working perfectly. Looking forward to getting the discs and giving them a good listen with them.
 
Did not see any genuine HD-430 foams for sale in Canada so I ordered some eBay ones for under $2 Canadian delivered. Surely not an exact replacement sonically but worth a try.
 
Back
Top Bottom