• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sensitivity and Wattage, Amps and Speakers

.......you know, I've been working on amps, etc for a long time. I don't ever remember a product not meeting it's power output spec. ....not one. Somethings were hard to verify. Things such as FM sensitivity, when you don't have access to a shielded room.

I think a lot of this lying or stretching the truth from manufacturers was largely car stereo, or instrument amp makers.

That is correct, especially of vintage equipment. Unless you see specs mentioning "music power" or "max power" where it appears the specs carefully avoid established and regulated terminology.

It's true that car audio specs must be anybody's guess. The total power rating of some extreme systems compares with the wattage of some boilers...
 
Why do I see nice vintage Marantz amps on ebay that say "150 watts, 30 per channel"? when it's a stereo amp with two channels? Or maybe I'm imagine this, but It think I see this kinda thing
 
High wattage amps have powerful P/S, heavy trans and large value filter caps and large current capacity diode. IMO, THis means high wattage amps can handle large RUSH electric current which follows the momentary high input signal.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom