• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Series 1 RF-7 bitchy horns

SOTA

Solder Splash Goalie
I have 2003 RF-7/RC-7.RS-7.RSW12 in a 12x30 room. Mains biamped with an Arcam AVR300. Sounds great but the horns get a bit nasty when loud particularly with horn music.I know about damping the horns but a simple microfibre cloth draped in front really helps. my gear is all from 03. Ideas?
 
Register to hide this ad
Most any horn based speakers, Klipsch, Altec,Jbl are all particularly sensitive to source related harsh sounding mids,and highs. Cheap CD players, Poor Streaming services,.
same thing goes with Most SS Amps/preamps. ANY AVR Even Arcam, is not exactly the best for 2 Channel Critical listening. How are you biamping with an AVR????
bet a nice TT and Cart, played through some nice Tube gear will open your eyes and Ears.
Do your Klipsch speakers have their orig X-over caps? and Diaphragms?
 
Last edited:
I use a Schiit Loki EQ with my RF7's. I just like to cut out a little mid-range sometimes when I listen to music - it is a personal choice, not so much that they are really bright (they are still slightly bright I would say though). I defeat the EQ for home theater though.

-Geoff
 
I have 2003 RF-7/RC-7.RS-7.RSW12 in a 12x30 room. Mains biamped with an Arcam AVR300. Sounds great but the horns get a bit nasty when loud particularly with horn music.I know about damping the horns but a simple microfibre cloth draped in front really helps. my gear is all from 03. Ideas?

REAL horn instruments can be "a bit nasty" when loud and close. So are you sure your speakers aren't simply faithfully reproducing the music as it is live?

An audiophile notion that has always grated on me is "listening fatigue" ..It suggests that a good system shouldn't ever be fatiguing - even after an hour + of listening to loud music. ..This is nonsense IMHO. Real music is fatiguing if heard from too close or for too long. Especially brass instruments...

Think of how humans evolved... What was the loudest noise we'd encounter? Thunder? ..Maybe a waterfall? ..Or waves?? ..None of these come close to listening to brass instruments at 95db...

The problem with changing your system so brass isn't a "bit nasty when loud" is that you're apt to make your system less realistic during normal listening. ..Which for me would make it less enjoyable.
 
Last edited:
You still never answered
How are you Bi Amping with your Avr.?
That’s very suspect :whip:
 
Yea. Figured as much.
And your blaming the horns ?
Bi-amping is using 2 completely different amps
Bi passing the internal X-overs with an electronic X-over
 
I use a Schiit Loki EQ with my RF7's. I just like to cut out a little mid-range sometimes when I listen to music - it is a personal choice, not so much that they are really bright (they are still slightly bright I would say though). I defeat the EQ for home theater though.

-Geoff

The Loki was a good investment for me as well. Tames the horns if the source is a tad brighter than I like.
 
I removed my horns and put Dynamat on the back sides of them. Huge difference. Some high end crossover mods will also help.
 
Yea. Figured as much.
And your blaming the horns ?
Bi-amping is using 2 completely different amps
Bi passing the internal X-overs with an electronic X-over
The Arcam uses the same amps for all channels. In biamp mode the zone 2 amps are used with the front channel amps for left and right, high and low. Four identical channels of amplification feeding the internal passive crossovers of the speakers. I believe those amps are 120 watts each. The Arcam is actually a very capable receiver and also has a decent DAC section for it's age.
 
Back
Top Bottom